Fire Brigade key for block of flats fuse board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a freehold block of flats which is run by a consortium of tenants or 'elected directors' - who collect the service charge and are responsible for communal areas.

I had to call out an electrician recently because, as it turned out the service fuse in the mains supply cupboard blew. None of the breakers in my flat tripped and the meter was not showing any signs of life so I immediately called the DNO (UK power networks) to investigate. I was told that I would need to get an electrician to assess what if the fault was with the mains supply, then they would send out someone. He came the next morning and promptly told them they need to send out an engineer. But they still refused to send someone because no one else had reported any problems.

So it fell to the electrician to try to solve the problem, I knocked on the door of one of the directors so we could get access to the service fuse box but was told that she did not have the key for the 'fire brigade padlock' which secures the external electricity meter housing, the key was with someone else who was away for a number of days.

She would not advocate breaking in even though it was an emergency so I had to wait until the other director came back to get the key and call out the electrician again, I was without electricity for two days.

When he came back the electricians opinion was our immersion heating element needs replacing as when tested it's causing a circuit breaker in our in-flat fuse box to trip intermittently. The mains cutout fuse supplying our flat in the outside external cupboard blew and has now been replaced, his opinion was that it failed because it's old and has degraded (the circuit breaker in the flat should have tripped before it failed).

I had to pay for two callouts due to inaccessible Mains external electricity meter housing in the building's external electricity cupboard. And was without power for two days.

I'm now in the middle of an argument with the directors who I've asked to foot part of the bill out of our 'service charge', partly because the fault was not in my flat. It was in the outside mains supply cupboard which they're responsible for and they are refusing to pay because they say a 'proper electrician' should have a fire safety key.

Is this true, is an electrician really required to carry fire brigade keys? I thought these problems where the responsibility of the DNO?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
What exactly is a "fire safety key"? If it was just a cross type throw bolt (often is), then all and sundry carry those.

If it is a standard key, there is no such thing as a "fire safety key" IME.

The only cupboards that usually locked tight are those belonging to the DNO if they have a sub on site for example. And NO ONE except them has access in there.

If your meter is in this cupboard, you should have access.

I would bill the management company for the aborted call outs, as you should have access to your meter and mains supply for issues just as this.

I should have explained better, it's a yellow FB14 padlock marked 'Fire Brigade', I think it's supposed to be carried by emergency services. No it's not a substation, I think it's just a junction box for the mains distributing all the flats in the building.

The meter is elsewhere - outside the front door of my flat so I have access to this. Does anyone know if this key is officially to be carried by electricians or is it for emergency service use only? I realise probably a lot of sparkies carry them- but are they obligated to?

I think the management are trying to deny responsibility for it and don't want to foot the bill by saying the electrician I used should have been carrying the key.

The meter is elsewhere - outside the front door of my flat so I have access to this. Does anyone know if this key is officially to be carried by electricians or is it for emergency service use only?
No one is obligated to carry such a thing.
It's up to the management of the block to ensure access is available when required.
It's totally unacceptable for the one person with a key to disappear for days at a time.

The keys can be obtained from various places, such as:
http://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/fire-brigade-fb14-padlock-key.html
however the whole idea of such a thing is largely pointless, and with people's meters in there, regular access will be required anyway.

Sponsored Links
I should have explained better, it's a yellow FB14 padlock marked 'Fire Brigade', I think it's supposed to be carried by emergency services. No it's not a substation, I think it's just a junction box for the mains distributing all the flats in the building.
This sounds bizarre, and is certainly a new one on me! Why on earth would the Fire Brigade lock up an installation's junction box?

Kind Regards, John

I think they are meant to unlock them in the event if a fire.

At the price if them keys I would order one incase it's needed in future!

Fire Brigade Keys. There are about 5 different types in common use. They are mostly intended for padlocks, and are all of the 'bitkey' format. They are used by companies and private individuals to prevent access to anyone without the need to enter. The fire brigade are supposed to carry a set as they usually need access in a hurry. There are also a couple of different style things called drop keys. I believe they are often used on lift controls.

The system is peculiar to the UK.

I think they are meant to unlock them in the event if a fire.
That makes sense, but if it's a 'Fire Brigade padlock', that implied to me that it was something which the FB installed - and, if so, why? ... or are 'Fire Brigade Padlocks' something which property owners buy and install?

Kind Regards, John

The keys can be obtained from various places, such as:
http://www.replacementkeys.co.uk/fire-brigade-fb14-padlock-key.html
however the whole idea of such a thing is largely pointless, and with people's meters in there, regular access will be required anyway.
Just to clarify the meter's aren't in there, I think it's just the junction box. The reason it's locked is because it's outside and thus accessible to anyone that can walk in off the street. It's also in a place that's pretty secluded (under the main steps leading up to the block next to the bin cupboard).

The electrician said that he used to have a fire brigade key but doesn't any more, I assumed because it was something they clamped down on since - and only emergency services are meant to use them?

It does sound weird to me that they're using a fire brigade key, they said 'kids' have broken in there in the past but it's not very security conscious to use a universal key you can buy off the internet?

At the price if them keys I would order one incase it's needed in future!
I think I'll fork out for one just to avoid this happening again!

That makes sense, but if it's a 'Fire Brigade padlock', that implied to me that it was something which the FB installed - and, if so, why? ... or are 'Fire Brigade Padlocks' something which property owners buy and install?

Kind Regards, John
The only reason I can imagine they're using a fire brigade lock is one of the directors is a bit loopy and calls the police/fire brigade for the slightest thing (for example someone illegally parking on the drive), she might have gone one fitted by pestering the fire brigade.

At one time the FB14 was limited ( maybe restricted I cannot recall ) to the staff of the emergency services ( in the 1970's ) and a few authorised engineers. It seems now that anyone can have one which rather defeats the object of having them.

In recall often seeing two padlocks on access gates where removal of either padlock allowed the gate to be opened. Emergency services had the FB14 and the site management had keys for the other padlock.

In the OP's situation a key for the padlock could have been available in a break glass key box or similar location.

They're new to me, never come across one. No electrician would be expected to carry one of the keys.

I've not come across them either, the only keys I carry around with me for work are ones issued to me by my employer.
As for the fire brigade, if they are anything like the blokes I know the bolt cutters would come out first.

As for the fire brigade, if they are anything like the blokes I know the bolt cutters would come out first.
Yes, that also occurred to me - seemingly one of their favourite tools (perhaps second only to the hydraulic version!) :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back