Fire Brigade key for block of flats fuse board?

I don't think it's that uncommon, a couple of buildings I regularly work in (A church and a community hall) have exterior electrical distribution (and gas meter) cupboards secured with FB2 mortice locks and yes, I do carry one of those keys.

Sponsored Links
A set of FB keys are well worth carrying I always had a set with me. The good thing is they also fitted a lot of the estate access gates, we had some tenants that delighted in locking the gates if they saw a van had the cheek to park in "their" car park. You could see them at the window gloating as you came to the locked gate, lovely to sidle out and open the gate with a smile :D :D

I'm a retained fire fighter for 6 years now. We have a selection of keys for various events (lift rescues, duel carriageway escape gates, dry risers etc..) but I've never noticed a key for what your describing. If we do come across a lock that we haven't got the correct key for then we use our favourite keys on the truck. Bolt cropper, sledge hammer, jimmy bar, axe or my personal favourite the hooligan tool.

She would not advocate breaking in even though it was an emergency so I had to wait until the other director came back to get the key and call out the electrician again, I was without electricity for two days.

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission normally, a cropped off padlock is not a big deal to replace

Sponsored Links
Ring up 3 other local electricians and ask if they carry the key.

2 days for access from the 'directors' is unacceptable, and it's probably padlocked so they can store their deckchairs and old furniture in there.

I would get confirmation from NICEIC and/or NAPIT regarding whether they consider their members should be carrying these keys in order to be competent 'good electricians' in the words of your director. Explain your circumstances. Ask this also of the competent persons scheme your electrician is a member of (if not either of the above).

If the answer is (not likely) yes, then you can complain to the electrician that he should have had one and you should not pay and be refunded for repeat visit.

If no then you can show the correspondence to your directors.

Either way you win.

I'm a retained fire fighter for 6 years now. We have a selection of keys for various events (lift rescues, duel carriageway escape gates, dry risers etc..) but I've never noticed a key for what your describing. If we do come across a lock that we haven't got the correct key for then we use our favourite keys on the truck. Bolt cropper, sledge hammer, jimmy bar, axe or my personal favourite the hooligan tool.
Lol that's what I thought, why should you faff around with a load of keys when you have 'proper tools' for the job

I would get confirmation from NICEIC and/or NAPIT regarding whether they consider their members should be carrying these keys in order to be competent 'good electricians' in the words of your director. Explain your circumstances. Ask this also of the competent persons scheme your electrician is a member of (if not either of the above).
Thank you for your advice, I have contacted the above organisations and hope I get a response. Will report the outcome!

She would not advocate breaking in even though it was an emergency so I had to wait until the other director came back to get the key and call out the electrician again, I was without electricity for two days.

Easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission normally, a cropped off padlock is not a big deal to replace

Funny you should say that, that's exactly what the electrician said he could do. But the 'director' wasn't having it - she was afraid she would be liable for any accidents should a kid run into the cupboard before we secured it again.

In hindsight I should have just got him to snip the lock and then report the problem.

At one time the FB14 was limited ( maybe restricted I cannot recall ) to the staff of the emergency services ( in the 1970's ) and a few authorised engineers. It seems now that anyone can have one which rather defeats the object of having them.

In recall often seeing two padlocks on access gates where removal of either padlock allowed the gate to be opened. Emergency services had the FB14 and the site management had keys for the other padlock.

In the OP's situation a key for the padlock could have been available in a break glass key box or similar location.
I have also seen the twin padlock with two locks. I have never had a fire brigade key. Where it is required to stop random access but allow electricians the panel key
panel-key.jpg
is the normal requirement.

But the 'director' wasn't having it - she was afraid she would be liable for any accidents should a kid run into the cupboard before we secured it again.
Ditch the useless padlock and fit one of these:
http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/asec-digital-door-lock-satin-chrome.html
Everyone who lives there gets the number to open it. No more problems with people going away, or urchins playing in there.

Or do like most blocks of flats - leave all the doors that state ' keep locked' hanging open at all times.
To do a proper job of it, ensure that all doors marked 'fire door keep closed' are held open with a fire extinguisher, the car preference key is kept in the lift permanently, and a random selection of pushchairs and bicycles are stored in every stairway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back