Fireplace gas supply???? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're on with some work at home and would like to run a gas supply to a fireplace but cap it off for now as it's will be a solid fuel fire. This would allow us to make it a gas appliance at some point in the future.

The plumber has said it can be done and left at the fireplace but it also needs to be capped off at the incomer end too i.e. before it runs beneath the floor screed. In essence there would be a dead pipe beneath the screed until such time comes that gas may be needed to the fire where connection would be needed at both ends.

Is he correct in his approach? Can it not be a 'live' supply and just capped at the fireplace end with an isolation valve?

I know he is qualified and I'm not, but I just wanted a second or third opinion on what you would do if you were asked the same question.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking we also recently learnt that a gas supply for a fire needs to be capped at least a metre away from the fireplace.

I have to say that I don't remember that from any of my training though.

The pipe MUST be properly protected before encasing with concrete as well as pressure testing it.

In many cases a single length of 10 mm tube can be used if the distance is short.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

There are in fact two fireplaces so it would be the same to both. I assume a connection can be made beneath the screed so that a separate length of pipe doesn't have to be laid all the way from the incomer end?

Thanks Dan. So a connection could be made beneath the screed i.e. a tee to both fires?

No reason at all why pipe cannot be connected and left capped in safe position by fireplace as for a metre away that is wrong as well agile is just repeating what some one thought in the gas forum.
And yes an appropriate sized pipe can be teed to go to 2 fires to save 2 seperate runs

Yes, the one metre distance was never substantiated as a requirement.

Whilst I cannot discount it as being untrue, I have never seen any evidence to support it.

Tony

If it was wrong then that would make it an untrue statement !

An untruth can also be classed as a lie which is not what the guy who said it was doing he was simply wrong in his assumption

Not sure I would want a live gas supply that close to a solid fuel fire.

How close is that then picasso ? he hasnt said

and how close where old gas pokers for lighting solid fuel fires

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back