Installing gas supply to a fireplace

H

HiZ

Are there any problem with running a gas pipe as follows. I have a new fireplace and want to drill a huge big long hole before the gas man comes....

It pops out of the concrete floor and is curreently capped off. It needs to go fom the the corner of the hearth down the side of the chimney brest and then through into the side of the fire? Can it go this way or does it have to go infron of the fireplace and look awful?

I doubt it is a problem but i wanted to ask before i drill a 50cm deep hole for no reason!

cheers

Sponsored Links
HiZ said:
Are there any problem with running a gas pipe as follows. I have a new fireplace and want to drill a huge big long hole before the gas man comes....

I doubt it is a problem but i wanted to ask before i drill a 50cm deep hole for no reason!
cheers

I would wait before drilling any holes in your concrete, until gas man comes...unless you know exactly where that hidden gas pipe is laid.

Slight mis-understanding i ussume. The gas pipe is clearly sticking out of the floor and I plan to drill sideways through the chimney breast.

There will of course be some pipe exposed for 20cm or so but then it will dissapear throught the chimney breast. As it pops out of the floor I'll get him to fit an elbow and keep it tight against the wall before bending into the hole i'll drill.

Sponsored Links
Sorry. I mistakenly thought that you were going to drill out a channel from the existing pipe along floor, down side of breast, allowing new pipe to be run into this channel, then sealed into the concrete leaving just enough pipework exposed to allow another piece of pipe to be connected & then passed through side of chimney breast & on to fire...my mistake :D :D

After drilling the hole you will need to insert a sleeve for the pipe to go through.

scatmanjohn said:
After drilling the hole you will need to insert a sleeve for the pipe to go through.

Thanks....some 20mm plastic conduit OK? I've got a v long 20mm drill

What size gas pipe will he install, 8mm?

I'd rather put the sleving in myself. Got some electrical steel galvo'd 20mm stuff from a sparky at work.

Im not sure what it is but i just don't think people do a good (neat/secure/tidy) job these days. If he drills a wonky hole and doesn;t de-burr the edges of the pipe etc then i will just constantly look at it and tut. He goes home and doesn't care one bit (apart from if I don't send the £55/hr+VAT cheque)

:rolleyes:

HiZ said:
I'd rather put the sleving in myself. Got some electrical steel galvo'd 20mm stuff from a sparky at work.

Im not sure what it is but i just don't think people do a good (neat/secure/tidy) job these days. If he drills a wonky hole and doesn;t de-burr the edges of the pipe etc then i will just constantly look at it and tut. He goes home and doesn't care one bit (apart from if I don't send the £55/hr+VAT cheque)

:rolleyes:

Go for it. ;)

Cheers chaps. Mr Corgi arived todday and was impressed with my sleeving and so on. All installed and working.... shame its not really the weather for it!

:D

HiZ said:
Cheers chaps. Mr Corgi arived todday and was impressed with my sleeving and so on. All installed and working.... shame its not really the weather for it!

:D

Shame that Galvanised don't like copper pipe. :LOL:

Electrolytic action :eek: the zinc`ll go first, wont it :?: :oops: Promise me the copper won`t disintegrate :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back