Fireplace, no lintel, big issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all. i have today removed the fake fireplace etc to see what we are looking at for the new woodburner. on removal i found no lintel, just an old back boiler packed in there. ive chased nearly all the way up the wall and found nothing. now i dont think itll be a problem putting a lintel in however teh way the previous build has been done, i dont understand how the colums will be supported. the colums look like they have also been redone and none of the bricks tie in, they all point the same way. can anyone help? im kinda stuck scratching my head. if its just a case of putting a lintle in the front then not a problem, but i dont want to remove the inner bricks in the picture incase it all comes down.

jez[/img]

Sponsored Links
They just look like packing to me.

It's as Joe says. The structural jambs are the 9 inch piers at the sides. That's the builders opening. The fireback and infill is put in later.

ah right. but what about the lintel? the piers either side dont look like there tied in either. the way the brick goes into a point at a top aswell is a bit worrying. i have a builder coming at 9am tomorow. hopefully all will be well. thanks guys

Sponsored Links
1. do you have the woodburner dimensions to work to? You need them for lintel height.
2. Likewise, have you had an opinion on installing a register plate and flue liner? This too can affect the dims.
3. looks like the flue requires "chain" cleaning, and smoke testing.
4. the c/stack terminal reqs examining.
5. do you have an extended hearth, and a CO alarm?
6. any pipework from the redundant backboiler reqs. draining, and capping at the cu. cylinder if one is in -situ.
6. BCO reqs pre-notification for inspection, and issuance of a "Compliance Certificate."

1. do you have the woodburner dimensions to work to? You need them for lintel height.
2. Likewise, have you had an opinion on installing a register plate and flue liner? This too can affect the dims.
3. looks like the flue requires "chain" cleaning, and smoke testing.
4. the c/stack terminal reqs examining.
5. do you have an extended hearth, and a CO alarm?
6. any pipework from the redundant backboiler reqs. draining, and capping at the cu. cylinder if one is in -situ.
6. BCO reqs pre-notification for inspection, and issuance of a "Compliance Certificate."

1. yes have all the dimentions and with the fill out of the way it will fit lovely with a nice gap either side to put some logs / bucket and tools.

2. the register plate i can make on install.

3. the sweep has been in since i took them pics and done a full sweep, smoke test and scoped the chimney from top to bottom. he says it all looks good now and have a cert to go with it.

4. the c stack should be looked at this morning with the builder.

5. the hearth is the width we would like already (with the fill out) however i will be taking it down and releveling it to neaten it up.

6. i drained the pipes yesterday before i cut them. i have to go upto wickes today to but some stop ends for it as they are being removed all the way up to the ceiling.

7. a burner installer friend of mine will be coming in once fitted and testing the burner, flue and fitting a a CO meter, temp guage and then signing it off for regs.

hopefully the buuilder will have some good news for me this morning :)

I’ve no idea how you intend finishing around the stove & chimney breast but don’t use any form of plaster or plasterboard in the area 500mm either side or 800mm above the stove, it won’t stand more than 49 degrees & will fail. A few links on the subject;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242738
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1855590#1855590

Just make sure you understand & are covering all the Buidling Regs & certification regarding your stove installation; I assume your installer friend is HETAS registered. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back