Fireproofing a boiler 'cupboard'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Folks!

I'm shortly going to be installing a Central heating system - the client wants the boiler to go under the stairs.

I understand that this is permitted, given everything else being equal, if the understairs area can be proofed to withstand fire for 30 minutes.

Sniffin' around this site, it seems that either a double layer of regular plaster boarding or a single layer of the pink fireproof plaster boarding is sufficient.

The area concerned has a left hand side wall of either brick or block, a rear wall of brick or block, the wooden underside of the stairs and I'll have to pop a stud in to make a right-hand wall .... or board the stairs right down to florr level. Kinda assuming I don't have to board the brick/block - if I do, what's the advice on fixing?

The punter [ sorry, Valued Client!! ], has no desire for any addition finish to the board, if the above is ok. They also have no desire for the understairs to be boxed-in. [ So no skimming of boards and no door and front wall requirement. ]

Is that ok? - Tried to explain that flames 'reach out' for oxygen so uncontained could be an issue, but I'd seek advice.

The boiler will be 'sealed to room' but I assume it should still have vents for air to flow?

*Sneakin' in another question*......

What do I do with joints and corners? Is there a fire-proof jointing material? I assume metal screws aren't an issue, even though the heat conducts into the wood, by then the house will have fried anyway?

I'll be seeking advice of the boiler installer guy, of course. But would like my brain to be for-armed with info.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
He's installing the boiler - I'm doing the rest. He'll need to return to connect and commission it. I have no OFTEC qualifications.

Why? Is there an issue with that?

I would rather suggest that you should exactly follow the requirements of the OFTEC installer.

In these situations there is the need to interpret the regulations and as the installer is the responsible person its his interpretation which has to be met.

Tony

Sponsored Links
As far as I was aware, fire proofing is not a requirement unless the building exceed's 2 storeys. Is this the case?

Boiler will require high and low vent's for cooling purposes but depending on which boiler you have fitted, will depend on vent sizes and wether or not they go direct to cutside or into another internal space.

Sam

I think you may find the requitrement are different for oil boilers.

IF any compartment ventilation is required I suggest the vents go to the outrside.

Tony

I think you may find the requitrement are different for oil boilers.

IF any compartment ventilation is required I suggest the vents go to the outrside.

Tony

What is your reasoning for the above suggestion?

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back