Fit Consumer Unit onto what?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace my main house consumer unit after a re-wire. At present the wall the unit will goes onto is old plaster. (It is falling off and needs replacing).

My question:

Are there new regulations with how you should fit the unit to the wall?

1. Can I just screw the board to the brickwork?
2. Do I need to fit it to a backing board? If so, does it need to be fire-proof and where would I get a fire proof backing board?

Thanks
Jono.

Sponsored Links
Jono_UK said:
1. Can I just screw the board to the brickwork?
It's unlikely to be flat enough, and CU's these days are flimsy - on an uneven surface they will twist.

2. Do I need to fit it to a backing board? If so, does it need to be fire-proof and where would I get a fire proof backing board?
AFAIK it is supposed to be fire-proof, or fire-resistant, and you can buy fire-retardant treated MDF for example.

But I don't know how many people bother - fires from dodgy wiring are not likely to start at the CU, and if you need fireproof board to stop a fire spreading to it you're in deep doo-doo.

The good things about boards are a) they are flat, b) you can mount them on spacers or battens so as to pass cables behind them and c) you can fix other stuff to them and keep it neat:

FULL_PICTURE3.jpg

i think it stands for as far as i know

i think CUs with closed backs (i think most modern ones are) can be mounted on any surface

you only need the board if its an old style with an open back iirc

also some recs don't like to see the CU directly on an outside wall because of possible damp issues

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back