fitted a new toilet.............leaking when flushed..help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have fitted a new toilet and i can not stop it leaking from between the cistern to the pan when flushed!
i have fitted another new doughnut (oem) and it still leaks about a teaspoon full of water directly out of the back of the joint between the cistern and the pan?????????
what am i doing wrong all help appreciated
regards
billy

Sponsored Links
Try - Apply a little silicone sealant to the pan and position the donut in position, leave to set for a little while. Apply more silicone to the top of the donut and position cistern. Tighten bolts to fix cistern in position

Try - Apply a little silicone sealant to the pan and position the donut in position, leave to set for a little while. Apply more silicone to the top of the donut and position cistern. Tighten bolts to fix cistern in position

thanks for the reply mate
i have put silicone on the tp of the donut but not on the bottom of the cone , i will try that in the morning.
out of interest how tight should i tighten the bolts holding the cistern to the pan........can i over tighten them?

Not really possible to over tighten them, doesn't need to be clamped down too hard though.

Make sure the cistern is centered properly as well

Good luck

Sponsored Links
You should not have to use silicone for this, that's a bodge! I have fitted loads and have never needed to.
When you tighten the cistern. Don't over tighten one side try and do it evenly and as tight as you can by hand and then half a turn with pliers/grips.

As with handy...

Never had to use sillycone... never had to use any real force to tighten a NEW cistern to pan.

You are either doing something very wrong, or have a B&Q special.

As with handy...

Never had to use sillycone... never had to use any real force to tighten a NEW cistern to pan.

You are either doing something very wrong, or have a B&Q special.

hi my thoughts exactly.......i am wondering if there is a fault with the actualf form of the ceramic of either the toilet or the cistern as you say the seal should do the job

as with the others, NEVER use silicone on this as it simply isnt required, its a bodge, check the bolts, the plate and the angle that the cistern is sitting properly on the pan, when you tighten the wing nuts down they hardly need to be tight to seal, so its something out of line that is causing the problem

R u fixing it back to wall after you have fitted the cistern? R u using a Krispy Creme or a rubber/foam donut? :LOL:

R u fixing it back to wall after you have fitted the cistern? R u using a Krispy Creme or a rubber/foam donut? :LOL:

not fixing it back to the wall (there are no holes in the cistern to allow this)
using a rubber foam donut

latest development is that the bathroom supplier is sending me a complete new pan cistern and flush unit (i have paid for it but they will refund when i take the original leaky one back)
the make of the toilet is TIDY ........anyone fitted these?
i had to have a new pan as the connector to the pan/soil pipe would not seal as the exit pipe on the pan was smaller than it should be.
been a pain all round realy
any pointers on assembling the new one will be great just incase i am doingg somthing realy stupid causing the leak?

I honestly don't see it make a difference unless the actual cistern was cracked. This honestly is child's play. If you have problems again, consult a professional and pay to have it done. I am not sure what you mean about the size of the pipe either....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back