Fitted a spur from Junction box but no power.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
Bought my first house a few months ago and I'm fitting my first new double socket in the spare room.

My issue is that I thought I had correctly connected the socked to the junction box there was no power. Other devices pluged in to the ring main function as expected (drill etc). Uprooting the floor boards determined that there is a junction box in the landing, all I have done is run a cable from the new socket in the wall into the junction box. I can't understand why there is no power to this; (although I have assumed that its okay to take the spur from this - maybe I've broken the ring).

Could anyone have any suggestion? I'm new to all of this so please bear with me :)

Many thanks, Johno.

Sponsored Links
Did you check that there is power to the junction box and that it is a part of the ring circuit? It's not unusual when rewiring for electricians just to leave old wires and JBs.
V

I did not check that - as I guess this is the first time venturing in to home electrics I assumed that every cable was live... :oops:

I'll pop by B&Q and get one of those electrical testing screw drivers and see if there is power to that circuit, if not I'll look to find a live wire and fit a junction box to this.

If that's the case, I know you can run a spur from another socket, is it recommended to place a new junction box on the live wire or create a spur from the socket.

Cheers for the quick response :)

m900349 said:
I'll pop by B&Q and get one of those electrical testing screw drivers and see if there is power to that circuit, if not I'll look to find a live wire and fit a junction box to this.

Do not get a Neon screwdriver as they are unrelieable, get a mutimeter instead.

m900349 said:
If that's the case, I know you can run a spur from another socket, is it recommended to place a new junction box on the live wire or create a spur from the socket.

You can spur from the back of a socket if it is part of the ring, & does not have a spur coming from it already.

Sponsored Links
m900349 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy a multimeter. You can get them for less than £10 and they will actually be accurate, and useful.

m900349 said:
is it recommended to place a new junction box on the live wire or create a spur from the socket.
spur from a socket! junction boxes are evil, and you need to leave them accessible (not buried under the floor) as the screws loosen with time, so far better to go into an existing socket (also that way you wont end up tapping into the wrong circuit!)

Come on, the bloke should not be doing this - he doesn't have the foggiest.

A random JB he found and no mention of cable sizes!

I'm not a professional but others (professionals) on here have berated and admonished for far better than the original post.

I made a sort of resolution, that if I couldn't say something helpful I wouldn't bother posting (which is one reason I've been so quiet of late!) but on this I agree absolutely with notb665.

If this is not a wind-up then the OP should not be attempting this job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back