Fitted cold water tank connection.... used a smear of putty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
and then noticed that the plastic tank had 'dont use any putty' printed on it.

Have i buggered it up?

Luckily tank is not yet fitted so it would be relatively easy to remove the tank connectors and clean the putty off.

Do i need to?

One tank connector came with a large rubber washer and a plastic support washer for the outside of the tank, the other tank connector has no washers.

Consequently i thought a smear of plumber's mate wouldn't do any harm.

Sponsored Links
Best to avoid putty on potable (drinkable) water supplies. Not that you intend to drink it, but you will rinse your mouth out.

It's also possible that the putty could react with the plastic, weakening it.

Sponsored Links
Best to avoid putty on potable (drinkable) water supplies. Not that you intend to drink it, but you will rinse your mouth out.

He may drink it if his upstairs cold water supply is tank rather than mains fed. ;)

True, or he may get his kick by drinking hot water from the tap. Takes all sorts - ask your twin! ;)

Then again it may be his F&E tank so it wouldn`t make any difference wether he drank from any tap. ;) My twin said I should mention that fact.

Then again it may be his F&E tank so it wouldn`t make any difference wether he drank from any tap. ;) My twin said I should mention that fact.

A minor technicality. Ask your twin if he should replace the FE tank according to his usual suggestion:
Get a quote for the Broag 39C combi. 5 year guarantee. Buy the outside weather temperature sensor. Better than Vaillant and W-B.

:LOL: :LOL:

So bearing in mind this tank will feed the hot water tank and cold feed to a shower pump only, do i need to worry about the putty?

So bearing in mind this tank will feed the hot water tank and cold feed to a shower pump only, do i need to worry about the putty?

Like mogget said, it may have an adverse reaction with the plastic and weaken it over time.

Ditch the putty. Some putty can affect plastic tanks in long term.

The good way is to use 3/4 inch poly washer( for brass 22mm tank connector) or 1/2 inch for 15mm, on outside AND inside the tank, as long as the cut hole is clean and unmarked and PFTE on connector thread.

Hope this help. ;)

Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back