Fitting a new light

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately not....is there an easy way to id which is the switch cable? I thought it was meant to have a little marker on it?

:oops:

Sponsored Links
Greenlight";p="1306441 said:
Unfortunately not....is there an easy way to id which is the switch cable? I thought it was meant to have a little marker on it?

:oops:[
You will definitely need a multimeter. Make sure all wires are clear of each other, and switch power on. With the meter set to a/c volts you should be able to identify the incoming live and neutral. Switch power off. Set Meter to ohms (resistance) and by switching the wallswitch off and on, you should be able to identify the switch cable. Connect all "reds" together .Connect all "blacks" together BAR the "black" of the switch cable.This "black"goes to one side of the lamp, the other side of the lamp is connected to the "blacks"(neutrals) you previously connected together.

Is it me or is there only one earth in those pictures???

If so, then you cannot hang that light fitting!!!!

Well spotted!
I'll bet that the one with the sleeved cpc is the switch wire.

Just hope that the earth is cut back on the other two cables.

If not, Greenlight will need a double insulated fitting, or put back the pendant he's just taken down..

Cheers Taylor, I try to be helpful ;)

If they're not cut back I can fit him him for new lighting circuits backend of September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busy busy thank the Lord!!!!

Wiltshire, mmmmm, do they have proper beer down there!?!?!?!!?

Bad advise, that counts as working live in my book, a prohibited activity.

Set your multimeter to continuity, connect a black/red pair to the meter and turn the lightswitch on and off, see if continuity makes and breaks as a result, if it does thats your switch drop!

You will definitely need a multimeter. Make sure all wires are clear of each other, and switch power on. With the meter set to a/c volts you should be able to identify the incoming live and neutral. Switch power off. Set Meter to ohms (resistance) and by switching the wallswitch off and on, you should be able to identify the switch cable. Connect all "reds" together .Connect all "blacks" together BAR the "black" of the switch cable.This "black"goes to one side of the lamp, the other side of the lamp is connected to the "blacks"(neutrals) you previously connected together.

FFS do you really think it's responsible to recommend an obvious total beginner to undertake some totally unnecessary live testing!!?? Once the switch drop has been safely identified with dead continuity testing, why exactly must you identify which of the remaining cables is 'in' and which is 'out' anyway??

Liam

Is it me or is there only one earth in those pictures???

If so, then you cannot hang that light fitting!!!!

Why? I'm sure you're right, I just don't understand. I mean, if there was an earth running from the cu earth to that rose, wouldn't it be safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back