Fitting a new light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I have purchased a new light and have some difficulty fitting it and hope I can get some help

I have three of the following

new_lights.jpg

I want to fit this to the following current light fitting

current.png

i have numbered the existing connections so hope some can tell me how to fit the 9 new wires I have

Regards
Bobby

Sponsored Links
I am surprised you need to ask... Connect the brown and blue to the same locations as for the previous lamp; connect the green/yellow to the terminal block with the other green/yellows in it...

I do not know how the previous lamp was wired as I just purchased the house.

Could someone please state which of the new wires (9) need to be connected to which of the 8 sockets in the terminal switch?

thanks

You must be hard of understanding...
In your picture the white cable at the bottom is the wire that goes to the old light fitting.
There are two wires, blue and brown. Remove them and replace them with the brown(L) and blue(N) wires from the new light.
Then you are left with one wire from the new light. Marked (E). That connects to the earth terminal - that's the one with the green wires.

OK? or is there something else you aren't telling us?

EDIT Having re-read your OP, I am confused about this bit
can tell me how to fit the 9 new wires I have

But you only have THREE new wires, the ones from the new light.....

Sponsored Links
Ahh.

So, its still the same except: Remove old light wires and replace them with the 3 browns(L) and 2 blues(N) wires from the new light.
Then you are left with three wires from the new lights. Marked (E). They connect to the earth terminal - that's the one with the green wires.

Could someone please state which of the new wires (9) need to be connected to which of the 8 sockets in the terminal switch?
ALL the brown wires go to terminal 1
ALL the blue wires go to terminal 8
ALL the green wires go to the terminal block that you didn't number.
Yeesh.

You do realise that:

1 & 2 are the same piece of metal
3, 4 & 5 are the same piece of metal
6, 7 & 8 are the same piece of metal

Sorry but I have posted the wrong picture. I will post a new pic when I get home along with a better description of what I am trying to do

Updated with correct images

Here is the old light

old.png

You can see where the brown and blue wires are connected to

I have removed the old light leaving the following

current.png

I have purchased a new light which has three lamps

new.jpg

In terms of connecting this do I

1) Connect the three blue wires to where the old light has its blue wire connected
2) Connect the three brown wires to where the old light has its brown wire connected
3) Connect the three earths to where the three green wires are connected

Is this safe?

I do not think I could fit another three wires to earth as there are three already

Yes, that is what you need to achieve, electrically. You should be able to get the earth wires into the earth block, it is quite large. You'll have more problems getting 3 wires into the L&N terminals. Sometimes an intermediate terminal block is necessary.

In terms of connecting this do I

1) Connect the three blue wires to where the old light has its blue wire connected
2) Connect the three brown wires to where the old light has its brown wire connected
3) Connect the three earths to where the three green wires are connected

Is this safe?
Of course. How else would it be done for it to work?

I do not think I could fit another three wires to earth as there are three already

It is very unusual to have a light fitting with three lots of wires like that.
They would normally be connected together with another wire leaving you with only three to connect; it would be better if you did that.
How would you get the three cables through the rose cover and then what would it look like?

Where did you buy it? Is it second hand?
Can we have a picture of the whole thing - just out of interest interest?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back