Fitting a water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I live in the top floor flat of a converted mansion and have terrible hot water pressure. I intend fitting a pump to the system but here is the problem...

I don't have a cold water storage tank in the loft as the loft is very small and the mains water is the only source of cold water. There is an emersion heater with only one 15mm pipe (i assume is the inlet) at the top of the tank and one 22mm pipe coming out mid way (i assume this is the hot outlet.) now the pump I have is a Briston 2bar duraspeed. As I am aware I cannot pump mains water so what do I need to do as the is no cold feed anywhere near the emersion tank.

Sponsored Links
This is surely more of a plumbing question?

Anyhow, are you sure that your cylinder isn't a combination cylinder with integrated header tank?

They tend to look like this:

large-fortic-f1.jpg

I'd have a guess that you have a "fortic" cylinder aswell...

maybe you'd be better off with mains pressure HW rather that having it electrically pumped??

Sponsored Links
The 15mm top pipe is your hot water outlet, the 22mm will be the cold feed.
You can't draw off at a rate faster than it fills up. Also, as hot water rises to the top of the tank this is another reason the 15mm is the draw off.

He wants to know if he can fit a water pump, but that is more of a plumbing question....

Am I a plumber?

Is the Pope Muslim?

Given that a woman was once Pope, I guess anything is possible.

Oh, and should you be interested, one of the other age-old questions has been answered:

well-that-answers-that-question.jpg

The 15mm top pipe is your hot water outlet, the 22mm will be the cold feed.
You can't draw off at a rate faster than it fills up. Also, as hot water rises to the top of the tank this is another reason the 15mm is the draw off.

I'm not so sure. It would be a very odd arrangement to feed CW into the cylinder halfway up the side. It would also seem a little strange to feed in 15mm from the CWS tank but draw off in 22mm. It would make more sense, to me at least, if the 15mm was incoming cold mains to filler valve in an integrated header tank. The outlet would 'appear' to be around halfway up on a combination cylinder, as that would be around the top of the HW section, but below the integrated CWS tank.

If the OP ever gets back to us with more information, and the mods move this to the plumbing forum, we might find out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back