Fitting batons to concrete fenceposts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help. I don't get on with my neighbour (constant loud music, aggression to us, the usual story) , but need to fix batons to their 4" concrete garden posts. I've read that drilling is not the best idea as they could crumble, so would like to avoid that. Any ideas at all on how best to fix the batons to these posts?

Sponsored Links
The posts are not yours, if you don't get on with the neighbours, I would think it good to touch their posts

heeelllooo and welcome colinuk1:D:D:D
you cannot touch his fence without his permission as its criminal damage
he may off course give permission who knows
you can off course erect your own posts on your own land and do it that way

The ownership is debatable. But thats not the issue for this forum. I'm just asking how to fix batons to concrete posts? (with all respect).

Sponsored Links
drill holes as deep as you can [up to 25mm]wind in screws a few mm then cable tie to the post
wind in the screws till flush with the surface they will then stop the post dropping or going sideways

also worth mentioning if you plan to increase the height
you need planning permission to go above 2m at the rear an 4ft at the front
and extending height will increase the wind load and may bring the fence down

If you plant to stay in the property & you don't think neighbours will be moving, might be worth thinking long term & plant a hedge if you can, laurel can be dense & its relatively quick to grow, good sound barrier.

You can't fix securely without drilling, perfectly safe if done correctly, have drilled many posts with any problems.

I think the O/P wants to avoid antagonising the neighbour by touching/interfering with the posts.
As stated earlier he is probably best to erect his own posts in line with the current ones and fixing the battens to these.

Um, what size batten, and for what purpose. You can drill into concrete posts with an sds drill, but you need to avoid the rebars that are down the inside. I assume you've gone to the council and the police over their behaviour.

Um, what size batten, and for what purpose. You can drill into concrete posts with an sds drill, but you need to avoid the rebars that are down the inside. I assume you've gone to the council and the police over their behaviour.

yes i fully agree if they are staying

buuuttt if they own the house and are trying to sell if no "dispute" is in place they don't have to declare the noise unless specifically ask that question
but if you are "in dispute " it must be declared in the paperwork

ok, I want to put thin battens on to the posts so I can attach a bamboo screen to them. I dont have an SDS drill, just a normal power drill. Will that do? What size bit should I use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back