Fitting bent tap connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm plumbing in a new wall hung toilet and it's all in place, but the top of the cistern requires what looks like a tap connector.

So I bought this 15mm bent tap connector:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Pushfit/Bent Tap Connector/d20/sd3143/p31547

I screwed it in tight with a spanner, but not really tight, and it is leaking. (although I was planning on taking it off again anyway because I just hooked it up temporarily)

Should I wrap the thread with PTFE tape first? What else am I doing wrong? How tight should i tighten this connection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A common problem with tap connectors is that they are not lining up dead square if the pipe has some spring in it so it is not meeting perfectly square it will leak.

Often the answer is to work back from the valve get the union on correctly first and make the final connection further along the pipe.

Is the thread on the cistern plastic or brass?

Thread on the cistern is brass.

Not quite sure what you mean about working back from the valve. Do you mean connect the connectors on the cistern first and then make my final connection at some other part of the plumbing?

Is there any other part I could use instead of the 15mm bent tap connector? Would a flexi hose connector be any better?

Did you check there is a fibre washer on the tail that connect to brass tail?

Black washer is no good. Use a fibre washer.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Brass is good news, plastic threads are so easily damaged :)

Yes make the connection to the valve first then final connection somewhere else, should not need PTFE.

A flexi will work the tap union will fit perfectly onto the brass valve thread, just looks a bit ugly but as it's in plastic a nice flexi might look neater anyway.

You would find that the simplist way to go.

I don't remember seeing any washer actually !

I'll be taking it apart again anyway, so I'll get some fibre washers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back