fixing units into thermalite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys im about to start fastening our kitchen units to the wall and the wall constuction is dabbed board onto thermailte 100mm block ,what fixing would you recomend to take the weight of the wall units many thanks tim

Sponsored Links
If you can drill in to the blocks, raw plugs are best.
If you are fixing to the plasterboard, it's a toss up between dry wall rubber anchors(these will handle more weight) and hollow wall anchors.

JCP do a range of Aercon anchors - these are like wall plugs but have a coarse thread on the outside. You drill a hole into your thermalite, screw in the anchor plug, then use a standard screw into the anchor. They work really well and will hold very firm. Not cheap though. You will need to drill a clearance hole through the plasterboard. I must admit to using a bit of goo too on the threads when I screw them in, just to make sure they don't unscrew if I need to take the screw out.

www.impactpt.co.uk/.../products/AerconAnchor.gif

In general, standard wall plugs just don't have the holding power, and will draw out if you do up the screws really tight. Some say a bit of gripfill into the hole with the plug will work, but not in my experience. The blocks are just too "dusty".

Sponsored Links
Not cheap though.
But not as expensive as a kitchen wall unit falling down.... ;)

There are also hanging systems you can get where you fix a bar to the wall, so that's screwed on in several places, thus sharing the load, and then the cupboards are fixed to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back