Flashing & Soakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have decided to roof my extension myself. I am using fibre cement slates. Where the pitched roof abutts the main house I am going to do some stepped flashing. My local roofing supplier can only offer me aluminium soakers that are 300mm long, and in fact he says that they only sell 300mm ones. Sources on the internet tell me that they should be 400mm long for 600mm long slates. My gauge is 250mm. If I use the 300mm long soakers, then their effective lap will be only 50mm. I am worried about this.
Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
You should buy 180mm code 3 lead and cut and form ypour owm soakers with a 75mm upstand. Your step flashing should be done with 180mm code 4 with a 75mm water line.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that maybe forming my own soakers will be the answer. However, I am surprised that you talk about 180mm lead. This has long been an imperial product and ALL the local suppliers offer it in 6", 9" or 12". We have not seen 180mm lead. Where do you get yours ?

Paul

I`ve got 6 inches - but I don`t use it as a rule :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
all roofing supplies i know now sell metric sizes, if not 6 inch would be ok with a 2 inch upstand. BS now is 180mm

OK, I will challenge them on that. What length should my soakers be and should they be flush at the top of the slate ?

Paul

For the entire time that i have been in the trade, i have never seen anyone else use or have never used myself anything other than 150mm x 150mm lead soakers for plain clay tiles.

Eaves course excluded due to it being more elongated of course.

These would be typically bent down the middle with an additional nib added for a left or right-hand soaker.

Also, the only soakers i have ever removed form a plain tile roof (old or recent) have all been formed from 150mm (6") lead.

I have never seen one leak as a result of soaker failure.

Where can you buy 180mm lead off the shelf in any case?

I agree that 6" (150mm) soakers were solely used for many, many years.

But 7" (180mm) have been used for probably the last 10 years.

Not saying they are any better but that is what is now specified by LDA, NHBC and in NBS specs.

The lead is always available in Roofing Merchants

The soakers for your slates should be 375mm long nd nail into the batten on top of each slate course.

It is available from Asphaltics or roofshop and should be available at any good roofing suppliers.

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. Just one last thing. If I use soakers, does that mean that my stepped flashing need only be vertical on the brickwork and not fold horizontally over the slates ?

Paul

The soakers for your slates should be 375mm long nd nail into the batten on top of each slate course.

It is available from Asphaltics or roofshop and should be available at any good roofing suppliers.

Just rang local Asphaltic and indeed a local Roofshop and they only stock 300mm soakers !!

Can anyone specify an actual online supplier who has 350mm or 375mm preformed aluminium soakers ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back