Flat Roof To Pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our felt garage roof is leaking and needs replacing. I want to do the job myself for the experience and to save cost so I was going to go for EPDM. Then I got wondering about putting a pitch on. It's only a single garage approx 3mx5m so not too big. My concern is over the extra weight of the pitch and whether the walls are up to the job. It's single width brick built and about 30yrs old and in good condition. Anyone got any ideas/details/links to any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
EPDM or Butyl is fine for that. Provided there are no rotting timbers and you have decent rafters this is a good method ......for an old garage.

Pick a dry period..... :LOL: To make it easy for you as a Diyer........leave old felt on. Buy enough 25mm jablight from B&Q to cover roof. Run a 3x2 timber round perimeter to creat an upstand. Fit jablight within that space and then lay your tablecloth of rubber on top of jablight. The rubber goes over your 3x2 and hangs vertical 6inches. Use 20mm chip as ballast to hold it down.........just spread it enough to cover rubber. It `s not that much weight when spread over 15m2. Figure out a runoff into a gutter and finish perimeter with timber, aluminium angle or...... I use fibregalss mouldings.

The Jablight enables you to walk on roof without piercing.and gives a small amount of insulation. That is a very basic system...I have watered it down for you. Best with 1mm rubber.

Maybe get a joiner or builder friend to check structure is ok as garage could be falling down for all I know :eek:

Alex

Ok, thanks for the advice. Your solution would be the safest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back