Flickering lights on an MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cannot fathom why but I have developed flickering lights in half the rooms of the upstairs of my house. I have narrowed it down to being on one circuit and I have switched it off at the CSU (as it was tripping out the CSU and full loss of power and activation of the house alarm!).

Any thoughts of remedies. I have done nothing on this circuit (not even changed a bulb). They are all on low energy bulbs. No other circuit is affected!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is check all the lamps/light bulbs are fitted correctly and not loose in the holders, then if that does not resolve the problem, check for loose connections on the circuit or faulty accessories.
Isolate circuit prior to checking for loose connections.

They are all on low energy bulbs.

There you go then, sadly.
Why the prejudice against CFLs? We have used them in our house for 15 years, without any problems.

Surely if lights flicker, this suggests that something [circuit or MCB] is faulty? I assume that by "flickering" the OP meant that lights which should be ON are losing supply for a fraction - not lights which should be OFF producing occasional flashes of light.

Sponsored Links
i agree, why prejudice CFL's?

we have used them since moving into our house and have never had to replace one apart from the one i dropped when changing a lamp shade! :eek:

and i disagree with anybody who says they are dim, or give bad light! ours never flicker. As long as you disregard the manufacturer claims that 12 watt = 60 watt or whatever they say, and find the light output you find acceptable then you are fine.

I find that 15 watt CFL's give the right brightness and colour of light for us.

as stated, check connections as it sounds like a loose one somewhere if the MCB is tripping.[/i]

it was tripping out the CSU and full loss of power and activation of the house alarm.
Unlikely to be a simple loose connection - you've got an intermittent fault to earth somewhere.

How long have you lived there?

Have you done anything recently which involved drilling/screwing/nailing into any walls, floors or ceilings?

Have you been in the loft for any reason?

Was the flickering ever seen to be associated with people walking in a particular place?

If the house alarm activates when the power dies, it needs a new battery. It shouldnt activate. Do your neighbours a favour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back