Flies.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Firstly, thanks to anyone who can help me out with this one....

Summary --> Please read my previous topic..
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=192605

I have pretty much sorted this by moving all the stones from under my house, opening up the vents and letting time go past. I also removed a lot of soil from there... but not enough it seems. I have loads of little flies about. I have looked under the floor and they are crawing about on the soil down there. Tonight I will be going down and taking another few inchs of soil away to be sure that I have removed all the stuff. I'm sure that I will remove all left over food after taking out another few inchs of soil. Does anyone have any tips regarding some thing (powder) which I could put down afterwards to kill (and or prevent) any flies from living there.......

Sponsored Links
2 jobs in 1,spary some cuprinol over the timbers this should kill the peskie flies,and treat your timbers at the same time ;)
or go hunting in your garden for spiders and chuck them down there.

lime powder ,this will dry and kill off anything down there ,get protective gear first

go hunting in your garden for spiders and chuck them down there.
Not as far fetched as it may sound.
A few years ago I worked in the restoration of the Bodlien Library in Oxford. English Heritage ( I think ) didn't want the roof timbers, which include some old painted panels, treating with chemical preservatives but as there was a risk from wood boring insects such as death watch and the like decided that something had to be done. The course of action that was taken was to import spiders into the roof to simply eat the adult insects and thus prevent them from laying more eggs.
Would have loved to know if this idea actually worked though!

Sponsored Links
what kind of pricing range are we talking here?

a lorry load of concrete and a 4 inch slab poured down there should stop them... :)

Allan - the flies will be eating SOMETHING down there, from your other post it sounds like you suspect the waste-disposal food particles. The flies won't last long after that's all gone, so unless they are actually getting into your house, you might as well leave it be. Nature's cleaner-uppers.

I'd only be worried if it was rats under there.

Tip 1- don't feed the flies,

Tip 2- if Tip 1 dosen't work then ask them to leave , nicely in a calm manner.

Dear All,

Just in case anyone wondered I went down the floor and scraped about 2" of soil, rubble, stones etc etc etc from under the house. Took a long time, and filled a couple of trailors; but never seen a fly since!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Al

Sponsored Links
Back