Floating conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previously I found a company online who produced conservatories which were partly hung from the house and partly supported by telescopic legs with clad panels around the base.

Can't find them now though, has anyone else seen these and can point me in the right direction?

I ask as we have an inspection cover in exactly the wrong place for trad footings and can't go larger moving the footings further away due to proximity of our garage.

Sponsored Links
Why not move the inspection chamber.. the cover will need to be accessable even if you build over it..

the conservatory people said:

I have spoken to our technical officer and he does not seem to think that it is possible to build a conservatory on the rear of your property due to problems you will have with the raising and moving of your manhole. The location of the manhole is exactly where our footings would need to be, based on the dimensions taken. It is very unlikely that the water board would allow the moving of this manhole as the drains serve not only your property, but that of your neighbours too. It is not possible to make the conservatory larger due to the proximity of your garage

I think the problem is the moving the cover along the line it would still be under the footings, unless it was moved right across onto the drive.

Also I don't think they like walls being built along drainage rather only nearer right angles.

Here's some pics for illustration

IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3372.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

I suppose another option would be moving the cover across to the right-hand door then putting a half width conservatory coming off the left-hand door.

Edit: like this

halfwidth.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would not think that it is possible to move the manhole as from the position of the soil & vent pipe it is likely to be on the junction where your effluent joins the main drain. The Water Authority may not allow you to build over the sewer but it may be possible to bridge over it with lintels and fit a screwdown manhole cover in the conservatory. Or better still use a suspended floor with a trap to allow access to the manhole.

Yes you have certainly got the depth to bring the floor out level with the house floor and put some pad and beams in, to bridge over the chamber to allow access to it either internally or externally.

It will be non-standard, and whether the conservatory company has the know-how to design this would be doubtful, so at the least, the foundation and floor (and access) may need to be designed by a suitable person

My initial thought would be to scrap the stack and move it to where the hopper is now.

The toilet waste would then sling t'uther way.

Build a plastic stack then boss the basin and bath waste into the stack.

If the drain flow is left to right fit the chamber on the drive.

There is little you can do about building the outer elevation wall where the pipe run is other than building one side or the other or designing a complex footing arrangement as Woodcure has said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back