Floating rail fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I want to build a fence that floats on top of the ground. I need feed back as to whether it is actually feasable.

1. the fence does not have to with stand other than normal presure from snow.
2. I will be running a electrical wire for the animals to stay off and keep preditors out and my dogs in.
3. here is my idea. To make a base of concrete of ( ) size to hold a second stone and concrete mixed second section that will be able to hold a 6x 6 concrete post with three hole to make a fence 5ft tall. The hole will then hold slpit or board rails. Or the post will not have holes but pegs to slip the rails or boards on and secured with a cylinder sleeve. This will allow for the slight heaving and settleing of the fence and no breaking of the boards. It will also make replaceing boards easier, less likehood of broken posts.

Now I can picture the fence but I need to know how heavy my post+ base will need to be in order to not easily fall over. I was reading I could settle it on maybe six inches os crushed gravel or rocks? to deplace the moist build up that would cause concrete to freeze and crack.

Any input to make it work would be appreciated.

Reason for this is once I put up this fencing i don't want to spend the rest of my life redoing fence and i don't want to dig over a thousand holes in rocky land that I have. Been there. Additionally, my land heaves post like no tomorrow.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back