Flomaster 3439G Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my old Potterton E2001 died and in view of the weather, for an immediate over the counter replacement I bought this Flomaster. The spark who fitted it couldn’t get the channels to work properly and asserted that he’d followed the instructions exactly. But I’m left with central heating operating from the hot water channel, the CH channel will not fire up the boiler. This is ok for now but will be an issue in warmer weather when I want water heating alone.

I’m no expert but surely all the programmer has to do is route power either to the boiler alone via the HW channel or to the boiler + pump via the CH channel? I’m pretty sure that there’s nothing wrong with the kit as I can hear it trying to switch in the boiler on the CHchannel.Can someone on here suggest a wiring fix that will overcome this? A diagram or photo of how the wiring should look would be wonderful!

Sponsored Links
I assume that the Potterton is an EP2001, (not E2001) if so the wiring connections are:

EP.JPG

The flomaster 3439G connections are:

Flo master.JPG

So as you can see, the connections for both products are the same, with the exception that the Potterton has a terminal (5) which is linked to the live terminal. The Flomaster has this link made internally already, so doesn't need or have a terminal (5). The other terminals are exactly the same. N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4. so it should have been a fairly easy exchange.

The Potterton does have additional terminals which allow it to be used as a wiring centre. Terminals A, B, C, & D are provided for the installers convenience, but do not have any functionality as far as the programmer is concerned. If they were used, any wires that were in these terminals, would need to remain connected together exactly as they are, but new connectors would be required as the Flomaster doesn't have this facility. So in the example below with these terminals highlighted, the two red wires in A need to remain connected together, as do the brown and blue in B and so on. (This is just an example, so don't try to replicate it, your wiring and colours will be different, depending on the personal preferences of the original installer)

You don't give any information about the system that the programmer is connected to. The wiring will be different for a fully pumped system with a 3-port motorised valve, a fully pumped system with two 2-port valves, or a system with gravity hot water circulation and pumped central heating.

However, regardless of the system, it should really have been a straight swap over of the programmer terminals like for like, plus some new connectors to replace A, B, C & D.

pp.jpg

However, if it was working OK previously, it would appear that whoever installed it has got something wrong and they should be called on to rectify it, assuming they are a professional who charges for their services, and not a mate down the pub who did it as a freeby.

check that your new programmer is set to fully pumped and not gravity, if set to gravity you wont get CH on its own will be a slider or a jumper tag that you change

My apologies just looked at the instructions for your new programmer and the parameters are changed using the buttons on your programmer, follow the instructions and make sure it is set to fully pumped and not Gravity HW

Sponsored Links
My apologies just looked at the instructions for your new programmer and the parameters are changed using the buttons on your programmer, follow the instructions and make sure it is set to fully pumped and not Gravity HW

The boiler is a 2001 vintage Ideal Classic, pumped CH and gravity HW. Serviced in the last few days and otherwise working perfectly. Does that make a difference?

I assume that the Potterton is an EP2001, (not E2001) if so the wiring connections are:

View attachment 157699

The flomaster 3439G connections are:

View attachment 157700

So as you can see, the connections for both products are the same, with the exception that the Potterton has a terminal (5) which is linked to the live terminal. The Flomaster has this link made internally already, so doesn't need or have a terminal (5). The other terminals are exactly the same. N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4. so it should have been a fairly easy exchange.

The Potterton does have additional terminals which allow it to be used as a wiring centre. Terminals A, B, C, & D are provided for the installers convenience, but do not have any functionality as far as the programmer is concerned. If they were used, any wires that were in these terminals, would need to remain connected together exactly as they are, but new connectors would be required as the Flomaster doesn't have this facility. So in the example below with these terminals highlighted, the two red wires in A need to remain connected together, as do the brown and blue in B and so on. (This is just an example, so don't try to replicate it, your wiring and colours will be different, depending on the personal preferences of the original installer)

You don't give any information about the system that the programmer is connected to. The wiring will be different for a fully pumped system with a 3-port motorised valve, a fully pumped system with two 2-port valves, or a system with gravity hot water circulation and pumped central heating.

However, regardless of the system, it should really have been a straight swap over of the programmer terminals like for like, plus some new connectors to replace A, B, C & D.

View attachment 157707

However, if it was working OK previously, it would appear that whoever installed it has got something wrong and they should be called on to rectify it, assuming they are a professional who charges for their services, and not a mate down the pub who did it as a freeby.

As far as I can recall, he had wired N and L as shown with connections to 1 and 4 only. When he wired the pump to 1, it ran but the boiler didn’t fire. He rewired the pump to 4 so the CH would work. Should 3 and 4 be connected to something, if so what? Is it possible that there’s an internal fault on the new device?

What Ian says is absolutely correct, with the plumbing restrictions of the system you have, the new programmer should be set to gravity mode of operation. That will allow you one of two options.

1) Hot water only
2) Central heating and hot water

Selecting the hot water 'on' will cause the boiler to light and the water cylinder will be heated by gravity circulation of water between it and the boiler

Selecting the heating 'on' will only start the pump. This means that hot water also needs to be on in order to keep the boiler running.

When I read your original post...
I’m left with central heating operating from the hot water channel.

I understood that to mean that when you only switched the hot water on, the heating came on instead. But I suspect now from what you have said since, that the heating must also have been on as well for the pump to operate.

The "spark" who installed it for you, having seen the installation should have set the new programmer to operate in gravity mode as per the instructions:

Capture.JPG

Thanks again Stem and Ianmac. The spark has been back and adjusted the wiring and the programmer has been reset as recommended. Now running as per the old Potterton kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back