flue clearance question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
afternoon all, when a flue disharges above a flat roof I understand it should have a minimum vertical clearance of 300mm but what about if it disharges close to a flat roof but not directly above it? In this particular case the flue is about 600m horizontally from a flat roof. I'm guessing that the 300mm vertical clearance still needs to be met - is that correct? TIA

Sponsored Links
The 300 mm above a flat roof is to prevent the flue becoming blocked by a build up of snow or leaves, so if it's not above the roof you shouldn't have to worry about that. Your installer will be best to advise you.

thanks sooey but it's a long story this one. The flue is my neighbour's and it's already in position. I extended a flat roof (with full planning permission/building regs etc) so there is now a flat roof below the flue. The 300mm clearance requirement is not met so there is a problem. Before I get into further discussions with my neighbour I'm trying to work out if the flue was incorrectly positioned even before I extended the roof. Before I did this work my neighbour told me that on their annual British Gas service visits the engineer always made a note that the flue position was not to regs. If this was the case it helps with my argument that my flat roof extension has not created a problem, it's simply exacerbated a problem that was already there.

before we comment on the flue we need to know the boiler make and model so we know if it is room sealed or open,

Sponsored Links
kirkgas, it's an Ideal Classic NF60. 18 years old so perhaps it will blow up soon and they'll have to replace it, with the flue properly positioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back