Flue position on next door house - is it dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
img8828q.jpg

Hi folks,

I've linked (or does it just show the photo??) to a photo of a flue (balanced I think?) that has just been installed on the house next to us by a builder who bought it for modernisation and resale.

I'm concerned by the location of the flue for a number of reasons:

1) The passageway where it is located is enclosed apart from the ends.
2) The height above the flue to the ceiling of the passageway is under 12 inches.
3)The window above and to the left of the passageway is our window and our house extends across the entire width of the passage at first floor level. Howver at ground floor it is legally split down the middle (but with mutual shared access rights) so it's technically on their 'land' but in a shared area. Their house starts at the wall on which the flue is located.
4) Most importantly, the room above the passageway is my 4 year old son's and I'm concerned that vent gases could linger, accumulate or even make their way through/around the plasterboard ceiling to the passageway. Having replaced parts of that ceiling I know there is nothing behind there except the underside of the floorboards in my sons room, so there is certainly potential for gases to get into that room directly above.
5) There is a 'lip' at the nearest end of the passgaeway which is formed by the bricks creating the entrance which means that flue is almost up inside this.
6) Potential for vent gases to discolour or even degrade the ceiling of the passageway which is legally ours given that it is part of the first floor, which is ours.
7) Last but not least, I can easily touch the flue with bare hands, The bottom of it is 1.95m from the ground.

So, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on whether they think this is 'legal' and if not, whether it is Council, estate agent or other that I should be tackling before it gets sold. The sale board arrived yesterday!

If the link isn't working and you can view my albums, the photo is in there too.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it has ben installed recently it breaches gas regs. No flue allowed in an entry.

Plus unless it is an existing boiler resited it needs to be a condensing boiler o it breaches part L too.

Speak to builder first and voice your concerns. If no joy contact Gasafe. They will inspect the install

Powell/Ihatemyjob - just been installed in last week, not sure if it's a resite of an existing boiler or a new one. It's definitely a resite but not sure if it's new boiler or not.

Reckon builder has upped and left now, not been for a few days and the 'For Sale' board has arrived. Will try to speak to estate agent. Do Gas Safe do an inspection free of charge, and what powers would they have?

Could you tell me what ID reportable means? I've heard of RIDDOR.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
ID = Immediately Dangerous. Gas line capped at appliance.

It is an old boiler as the flue is 'balanced' not fanned. All new boilers are fan flued.

Gasafe call free of charge. I doubt the sale would comple as the resite would need a compliance notice and it won't have/get one. I can only assume the install was illegal

I'd say you ought to talk to your neighbour(s) and persuade them to not use it as the fumes may be able to seep up through the walkway ceiling into both of your properties. If they wont turn it off, contact gassafe, get a COD (carbon monoxide detector) or 2 and dont use the room above the boiler - even if you have a COD in there.

As every one else has said the flue postion is not acceptable , the H.S.E through Corgi became concerned over these type's of installation's due to a co incident that it issued a safety notice / bulletin through Corgi with guidance note's for installs done years ago , the passage way is refered to as a Ginnel !!
If you contact the gas transporters emergency number complaining of fume's they will disco the appliance at the meter !

Oh FFS, why are we still seeing this sort of ridiculous IMMEDIATELY DANGEROUS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS ILLEGAL installation, when we have had GORGI for how many years, now we have GASSAFE for how long, and yet this sort of crapp still appears.

REPORT THE FEKIN ABORTION TO GASSAFE BEFORE IT KILLS SOMEONE, GOD KNOWS WHAT ELSE IS WRONG WITH THE INSTALLTION ON THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSE AS WELL :evil:

IF PEOPLE DONT KNOW BY NOW THAT UNREGISTERED GASWORK IS ILLEGAL, WHEN FFS WILL THEY :evil:

Wow thanks everyone, this is really superb advice.

The major problem we have with talking to someone about it is that the property is currently unoccupied and on the market. The 'builder' hasn't been seen for a few days and suspect they've now done the bare minimum to get it on the market and legged it to wait for the money to arrive.

I'll speak to Gas Safe in the morning, and also to the estate agent, given they have responsibility for selling it. You're right that this should get picked up by mortgage valuation and/or conveyancing, but if there is a drive-by valuation done, and the conveyancing is done by one of these bulk efforts where the YTS'er does the legal work and the 'solicitor' signs it, then it won't get picked up, because the rely on the seller to advise in the Property Info form whether they have done any gas and electrical work - what do you reckon they'll say??!!

As for the last post, I suspect the builder knows full well that it's illegal and probably done it themselves, but they don't care do they? But I appreciate and support your sentiment!

The faults should come up on a Survey so should be difficult to sell, perhaps thats why he has fitted an old boiler, so he can claim its been there for years, BUT Boiler flues in "Ginnells" (Passageway) was outlawed a few years ago following SEVERAL CARBON MONOXIDE DEATHS!!!
Call your local HSE etc to get this blatent disregard of regulation bought to book!! ;)

Maybe raising the matter with the estate agent marketing the house would provoke a response, as I believe they are required to disclose any ongoing problems or disputes to potential buyers.

if ya cant get in touch with anyone or they refuse to act, phone transco and say ya co alarm went off. they will most likely turn the gas off before it enters the property if they cant gain access :LOL:

The builder and his plumber should be prosecuted for contravening whole rafts of regulations and laws. People working like this are a menace.

I advise you to contact Transco first and then Gas Safe with the photograph plus the names of the guys concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back