Flue position on next door house - is it dangerous?

I fail to see where it is suggested that the installation has not been registered.

One should not jump to conclusions without all the facts.

Sponsored Links
The Environmental Health Officers have lots of powers including being able to break into a property to prevent a danger.

You can get a name of the owner from the Land Registry and the EHO can see the Council Tax records and serve a Notice ont eh owner ( with a copy to the Agent ) as they also have a responsibility if they hold the keys are are acting for the Owner.

For the purposes of the inspection it would be better for you to remove any locks so that kids can play in the passage.

Is the gas meter external?

You shoudl write a letter to the Agent pointing out that the boiler flue is classed as Immediately Dangerous and they have a duty of care to bring that to the attention of prospective purchasors.

If it was my neighbour then I would be making up a Warning Notice of a dangerous boiler installation and pinning it on the front door and replacing it whenever the Agent removes it.

I do find it very frustrating that in clear instances of a dangerous installation no one does anything about it !

May I have your permission to copy your picture elsewhere?

Tony

I fail to see where it is suggested that the installation has not been registered.

One should not jump to conclusions without all the facts.

Are seriously going to try and tell me and everyone on else on here that this installation was fitted by a GasSafe registered iindividual or company ?

You could just pop your garden hose into the flue let it run for say 1 hr then remove all trace, boiler will be fooked also house probably flooded= usless ilegal installer left a leak, serve them right when he returns to fix it get his name address for hse.

Sponsored Links
You can get details of the owner from the Land Registry website on-line for about £3, I think. If the house has changed hands recently, the site may not list the current owner; properties that haven't changed hands in a long time may not be registered at all.

Write to the owner and ask him to rectify it ASAP since you hope to avoid having a dispute recorded, which he would be obliged to declare to propective buyers and which would adversely affect the value of both properties.

The next step is your new MP and perhaps local television, newspapers, radio...

Keep at it. This is absolutely criminal. I would also get the name of everyone else you speak with, and log the details of your conversation. Deliberate damage is not a good idea, but I would turn the gas off if it is an outside meter, and lose the handle.

An RGI might not have done this installation but I've seen as bad if not worse that HAVE been signed off [ if not installed] by RGI so until it's compulsory for all new installations to be checked/tested by an independent third party like the LABC it will continue to happen.

No surprise that Gas Safe were not interested, as with NICEIC [electrics] the complaint probably needs to come from the customer and my guess is 99% of customers would not recognise a dodgy installation if it was to jump up and bite them, but they shouldn't need to.

OP should send a recorded delivery letter to the estate agent stating his/her concerns and likewise to the head of local Building Control, if/when the xxxx hits the fan niether will want to be seen as negligent or irresponsible.[/u][/b]

This is exactly the risk here. I am astonished that Transco and Gas Safe have not responded.

Please, in the interests of humanity, keep up the pressure on them!

This is exactly the risk here. I am astonished that Transco and Gas Safe have not responded.

Please, in the interests of humanity, keep up the pressure on them!

I am not they generally only respond if there has been an incident gas leak , someone has been injured ect ect not good but there you go !!!

HSE is your port of call tell them theres a breach of the gas regulations
ask for the name of the hse officer that will be dealing with it as there is a risk of a fatality. scare em they'll act !

Visit the estate agents again, and tell the boss the situation. Also hand him a letter setting out what the problem is, what you want done to rectify the situation, and the time limit that you want it carried out in. Tell him to pass this letter on to the vendor.

If he gives you no assurances that it will be attended to, tell him that the next steps are visits to the local paper and news/radio.

here one option get a pole with sign on it telling all potential customers that the boiler is dangrous and possibly illgealy installed
and put cctv camra on it so esate agents cant remove it as that would vandalism and no one will buy the house until it sorted

It must be remembered that Gas Safe Register are only charged with maintaining a register of Competent Gas operatives and Businesses, Responsibillity for Gas Safety ultimately lies with the Health & Safety Executive, (HSE) their number has already been given on a previous reply to this post, I would contact them to report under "RIDDOR" they will know what you mean and will have a legal obligation to investigate, the HSE Inspector can legally break into any property at any time to investigate incidents I wish you luck!! ;)

Hi again folks,

Thanks for all the further replies. Today's update:

Spoke to estate agent again: same story, not at all interested. Firstly wouldn't believe that I was next door neighbour because I'm no 12, and the next door is no.19. The fact that we're at the end of a cul-de-sac where the odds and evens come together escaped him. Then he suggested that there was no way I would know it was illegal. Then he said that all gas work has to be carried out by 'CORGI' so why would the vendor have used anything else?!! I explained that this would not be going away.

My wife managed to buttonhole someone else from the agent as they happened to visit the house this morning, unfortunately just after their viewer had left ahead of them. However she advised him of the situation, and said 'he's speak to the vendor' Mmmmm.

Spoke to HSE on their gas safety line. Explained the whole situation and they said they could only intervene when there was a landlord/tenant gas safety issue, not for a house that is owned! They suggested local authority building control. I know BC has been suggested on here already so I may try that tomorrow, but don't hold out much hope. Will also try Environmental Health too.

I know lots of you are suggesting deliberate damage of some sort and I am grateful for all the responses, but that sort of action is just not me. That's the way it is, please don't take it personally. Of course if the house should become occupied, I may need to take more direct action. I am thinking of putting a sign on all the windows though, as well as in the back of the house (they've left the back gate unlocked). Incidentally, it's not an outside meter, or yes, I would just turn it off. Likewise were Transco to come out and turn off the gas, it doesn't actually solve the problem long term.

Land Registry don't have any new owner data yet - apparently registration of a change of owner is compulsory but solicitors are allowed several months to send the details in, so that's a bit of a dead end for the moment.

Finally, 'Agile' - yes, please feel free to use the photo. Is it for training etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back