Flue position on next door house - is it dangerous?

Hi everyone, many thanks for all the further responses. It really is great to know you're all there! As for those in the trade, I can appreciate your frustration with your own industry.

A small breakthrough late yesterday where another trawl of the Land Registry data showed that it had been updated yesterday and the current owners name and address had been added. That means I can pass this to Gas Safe, as well as arrange a letter from a lawyer on Monday.

Still doesn't hugely improve matters because there are still no guarantees that really all the agencies should be in a position to implement, however I think we can see that they are all pretty toothless. Will still be doing letters etc to all the agencies. I will keep you informed on progress.

Sponsored Links
The one organisation which should help you and does have strong powers is the EHO.

For some reason you dont seem to want to contact them!

They come free too!

Tony

Don't worry EHO are on my list! :D There are only so many phone calls I am able to make during my working day, so have been targetting those who have direct relationship with gas safety.

However my wife is friends with an EHO, and on checking with her, she says there is nothing in their remit that can help, so not holding out much hope on that one.

If you complete the RIDDOR form online, you can print it off and post copies. Name the sales agent as the 'responsible person' and the HSE will contact them, in turn, to chase the report and seek rectification.

Sponsored Links
I cannot see how an EHO can fail to take action against a situation which is injurious to health. Their remit covers any danger.

A local EHO who I have spoken to a few times, told me about a gas situation with an open flued appliance in a bathroom where five tenants were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tony

Ask the estate agent for the details of the owner and send him a registered letter that his property has an illegal gasinstallation, and inform Gas Safe Register about the illegal install and the concerns about your own health and safety, and do this also by registered mail.

As far as I know, it is illegal to sell a property with know defects without telling the buyer.

Another registered letter to the LBA informing them of the above.

If you want to play real hard ball, send copies of the above by registered mail to the mortgage provider. At the end of the day, he who holds the purse-strings, holds the reigns.

Local TV/radio/newspapers.

Should we all form a posse and visit the letting agents to express our opinions?

Just reading these posts infuriates me, how can our industry regulator (which is so keen on stamping out this kind of work) basically ignore it. Surely nipping this in the bud now is far better than waiting for someone to die. But it does appear that that is what it takes to get them off their a****.

Good luck getting this sorted at least you seem rather calm about it personally I would be ripping people's heads off (figuratively) for little response you have had.

Please tell us what happened - this was an important issue.

You really will be suprised on the amount of fumes that come out of those things. If It isn't sorted by the time the new occupants move in, and it is a cold, dark winters night, you will thing someone has lit a fire in your passage way.

My first course of action after getting no where with phone calls, would be the sledge hammer. It's not a joke, lives are at risk here, and it's yours and your family, wouldn't give a flying **** about legal issues, just gives you more of a chance to show what the cowboy done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back