Flue Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain to me the regulations for flues on a Potterton 50 Suprima Gravity Fed Boiler.

Because of the nature of our house there are no windows one metre away from a surface. Therefore we have had to extend the flue by roughly one metre for it to comply with regulations. Whenever rain falls at the correct angle it ends up flooding our boiler. We have had this issue for years, but the boiler still worked, however now it has wrecked the boiler (not surprisingly!). The boiler was old when we moved in 8 years ago. So we are pleased it has lasted this long.
We are now going to change the boiler and flue and want to ensure that there are no leaks into the flue again.
So what would you advise.... do we need a straight flue, or bent etc...

Thanks in advance.
Christine

Sponsored Links
Would advise you try and make it a bit clearer what you mean , :eek:

You need to get a registered installer in to advise you. There are so many flue configurations available now that it's not practical to advise the best one without a site visit.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Looks to me that you may get away with a new boiler flued to the side with a plume kit to take the discharge up and away from the windows.

A plume kit looks like a snorkel and takes the flue gasses away from adjacent openings ete.

I still stand by my previous response though as without a proper site visit I can't give a definitive answer.

Mike

Do you know where these can be bought? and what bits would we be able to do.

Most modern condensing boilers have an option to use a plume kit. There's very little you could do yourself. It's a job for a Corgi registered installer.

You should be able to find an installer local to you at http://www.ciphe.co.uk/

Mike

Case of looking at instructions for whatever boiler you are going for but velux windows may come into play as a flue in front of them must be 2mtrs away.
But using a plume kit and coming out between window and wall may give you this with the extra lengths that it allows

The adaptation by extending the vertical flue shown in the picture at the top does not comply with Potterton MIs.

A Vaillant 4 seres with a horiz terminal and then a vertical PDK on the outside looks like it will work. But flueing is for an RGI on site to determine, it is the single most important part of a boiler installation. Especially since it was wrong last time.

Click on the picture link you can see where he wants it, think he was mixed up with distances

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back