Rainwater leaking into vertical flue......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a vertical flue to our Potterton Suprima, and have noticed that there is water leaking out from underneath it. The cause seems to be that there is water inside it, which could only be coming from the flue, as all other pipes are dry. The flue is over a metre long, and has a cover but I think when the rain is in a certain dirrection it causes this leak. Has anyone come across this before and is there ny sort of cover I can get from a diy shop??

Thanks in advance
Christine :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Might not be from the flue

chances are the heat exchanger has gone, get some one in to check it out.

even if it is the flue you really need to check out the burner as they dont like wet very much

It is of concern that you seem to be saying that you have a "cover" on your flue!

There are many different ways that water can get into a boiler from the flue. Mostly as a result of faulty installation but also sometimes from condensation.

For a start take any cover OFF your flue as that could have safety implications. Then consider getting a competent boiler engineer to have a look at it. Explain in advance and discuss any ladders needed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
well. thank you all SO much for your help................. I would have thought that any of you might be able to answer the simple question of whether there is a device that can protect a vertical flue from water entering the top. The flue is safe and has some sort of standard water protection. I am sure that all you plumbers know what i am talking about?
:rolleyes:
Anyway... thanks for nothing. i know where to go when i want to next time i need to talk to a bunch of arrogant know it all plumbers.

I think you are missing the point

There is nothing that you can add to shield a verticle flue as it should have been installed with an appropriate flue terminal

what we are saying is that you need to get a competant person in to asertain the problem and then suggest the legal way of solving it

some things are just not DIY, get over it

thanks.. at least i now have an answer.. i do not need to get over the fact that it is not diy. and will now get a competent peron to look a the job... it just seems like such hard work to get an answer out of any of you !! :)

wewillgetthehousebuilt said:
thanks.. at least i now have an answer.. i do not need to get over the fact that it is not diy. and will now get a competent peron to look a the job... it just seems like such hard work to get an answer out of any of you !! :)

Every single reply given to you has said that you should get a competent person to inspect it.

Incorrect fluing kills 10-20 people each year! We "know it all" because thats what we are trained in.

Our concern is your Gas Safety but you then call us "arrogant" !

Tony

Are you certain it is a proper vertical flue kit terminal? I have come across standard horizontal terminals just 'poked' upwards out of roof :eek: These would obviously let in rain water as they are not designed for this purpose. All proper terminals will have what looks like a 'hat' on them to prevent rain ingress

wewillgetthehousebuilt said:
We have a vertical flue to our Potterton Suprima, and have noticed that there is water leaking out from underneath it. The cause seems to be that there is water inside it, which could only be coming from the flue, as all other pipes are dry. The flue is over a metre long, and has a cover but I think when the rain is in a certain dirrection it causes this leak. Has anyone come across this before and is there ny sort of cover I can get from a diy shop??

Thanks in advance
Christine :LOL:

Hello Christine,
I'm not a plumber but I did have a very similar problem with a Potterton boiler in a flat I was renting. Whenever it rained, water would form a pool on top of the boiler, and if it was raining hard enough the water would start to drip down onto the microwave cooker and units below !
It was very difficult getting anyone to acknowledge that there was a problem - by the time anyone came to look at the boiler, all the rainwater had been evaporated by the heat of the boiler. I suggested to the Letting Agent and to guy who fitted the boiler that they should put a cover over the flue to stop the rain coming in, but nothing ever got done about it and I moved out of the flat. I was concerned as well that if rainwater could leak through the flue, then it might be possible for gases to leak out also.

I'm sure the other guys were trying to be helpful and you should get a good gas c/h engineer to look at your boiler. I really don't know anything about fitting boilers but I suspect the problem is to do with the flue not being fitted correctly. I say this because in the flat where i was living, if it was raining there would be water coming into the kitchen even when the heating was off, and the amount of water coming in was quite substantial during periods of heavy rain.
Sorry I couldn't offer any real help - ideally you need an engineer to come out while it's pi**ing down so he can see the problem first hand.
Cheers
DeckChair-Dave

At the risk of also being called arrogant I shall ask you, is it a Suprima HE? These discharge water into the flue, which condenses and runs back towards the boiler (It's designed that way) What may be happening is the flexible condensate connection may be leaking internally, giving rise to the drip you describe. NOTE this is only for the Suprima HE, which has only been around for 3 years.

Hope this FREE information has been of use to you, if not who gives a ****.
MM

well. thank you all SO much for your help................. I would have thought that any of you might be able to answer the simple question of whether there is a device that can protect a vertical flue from water entering the top. The flue is safe and has some sort of standard water protection. I am sure that all you plumbers know what i am talking about?

Anyway... thanks for nothing. i know where to go when i want to next time i need to talk to a bunch of arrogant know it all plumbers.

Now there's gratitude for you.

The only device capable of protecting a vertical flue from water entering the top is the vertical flue terminal.

How do you know its safe if water is running down it and through the boiler. Safe is the last thing I would call it.

But then I just an arrogant plumber.

Someone remind me why we give free advise on here? Have Collins changed the definitioon of arrogant whilst I was in the bath?

oh well.... Next!

Lol and that was probably the least arrogant, know it all post you have ever made on here Tony. Ain't that just typical :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back