Leaking throught the flue (I THINK)????????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I found water dripping from mi boiler (Potterton Puma 80), took the front cover off and found it was coming from inside the other metal cover which has the window for viewing the pilot light, it was raining really hard so I guessed it must being getting in the flue, there was a drip coming off a pipe directly about the flue too, I have found little puddles of water under the boiler in the past but never worked out where it came from.

I covered the flue with a plastic bag and turned the boiler off, the leak stopped, I left it to dry out for 24 hours, took the bag off, and then tried the boiler and it works fine.

My problem is apart from stopping the drip from the pipe how else can I stop rain water getting in to the flue when its windy or raining heavy, it just seems like its too exposed to the elements, can you buy covers for them?

Many thanks, Karl.

Sponsored Links
No. check to see if there is a gutter above boiler flue.could be leaking frome there down into flue.

Puma flues DO suffer from this more than some. The flue should slope, downwards slightly to the outside.

Sponsored Links
I've had a closer inspection and it seems the flue is sloping towards the house slightly, would putting some sort of peaked cap over it be ok, it wouldn't stop any gases getting in or out would it?

The gutter looks ok, it's the waste pipe from the bath that has a bend in it directly above the flue.

Next doors looks a lot better (more protected), do you know if there's anything I can buy to put over it?
Karl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back