Leak coming from top of Vaillant boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a drip coming from the bottom of my boiler and when I took the cover off I realised it was actually coming from the top of my boiler. It seems to be the plastic condensation pipe (flue?) is leaking water back inside the boiler.

Here's a photo showing a drip of water where it's coming in:

The boiler is a Vaillant EcoMax 828/2E

The water is dripping from the top and collecting on the bottom of the boiler, eventually spilling out.

It isn't dependant on any rain, as it happened when I had the cover off and it wasn't raining outside.

Any ideas what could be happening here? Is this going to be easy to fix?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I wont explain whats wrong but you defo need an RGI for that and sooner rather than later coz rusty combustion boxes are a recipe for condemned boilers!

It looks like a flue seal may have failed you will need to get a Gas engineer in to sort that, be aware that if condensate is leasking out then so are products of combustion - you have already removed the front cover of the boiler so potentially those gasses including Carbon monoxide will be spilling into your room. the condensate is also corrosive which could quickly eat through the boiler case rendering it useless so get this sorted ASAP! ;)

Ok fair enough.

Is this likely to be an expensive job?

I only just got the expansion vessel and pressure relief valve replaced in the summer and could do without another big bill.

Sponsored Links
Sorry crystal ball is not working to-day, but whatever the cost it will be cheaper than a new boiler if the fault is ignored or a potential for a fatality in your family!! what cost would you put on that???? :confused: :eek:

Not to expensive depends on flue access external and internal and if it all needs to come out, seals dont cost to much.

All the vertical joints should be male into female and even if a seal was faulty should still not leak water.

It seems that there may be a flue fault, perhaps an installation fault, rather than a fault inside the boiler.

But like all these things needs careful diagnosis on site.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back