Found a vertical pipe sticking out of floor-gas or water???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My kitchen saga continues (seem to do nothing but post on here these days begging for help!).

Took out a half height partition wall today, and found a pipe sticking out right in the middle of my new kitchen floor....

It looks ancient (metal), and I dont know whether its gas or water.

I'm assuming gas, for two reasons:

- It has the same sticky "lagging" type stuff that my gas pipe at the meter has around it.
- I cant see the need for there to be a water pipe there, being as it is about 30cm from the incoming stopcock - unless it was originally for a dedicated supply for the washing machine, which I cant see being the case!

Any way to tell for definite?

Sponsored Links
If its steel pipe its probably gas. Copper pipe could be either.
Only definite way is to open it and see what happens. If you think there is a chance that its gas then get an RGI in to check it out. Many older houses have redundant bits of pipe or capped of feeds for previously removed appliances. It could be live so better to be safe than sorry.

Cheers guys.

Getting a plumber out anyway, as whichever way it goes it will need removing - was more curious than anything else to be honest!

I suspect it may have been for a cooking appliance, so gas :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

Getting a plumber out anyway,...
I hope you will check that he is actually Gas Safe Registered.

I'm positive he is, his bread and butter is boiler installs, and I've used him for ages.

That said, out of interest, I am now going to check!

As an aside - if this is a gas pipe, I assume its a relatively straightforward job - simply purge the system at the meter, open the end on this pipe to ensure no more gas, drill a couple of cm down and cut the pipe there, permanent cap then cover?

Sorry, but for safety reasons we don't give directions on how to work on gas.

You would be surprised how often people are not registered (anymore)

If you know his postcode, you can check on line at the GSR website, it is open to the public for that reason.

If you know his postcode, you can check on line at the GSR website, it is open to the public for that reason.

I dont actually, but looking in the area he lives and you seem to be right - funnily enough I cannot find him.

Possibly not looking hard enough....

I dont actually, but looking in the area he lives and you seem to be right - funnily enough I cannot find him.

Possibly not looking hard enough....
Has he ever done a job for you that would require his registration number on a form, like a lgsc or boiler install? You can also search under name.
Failing that, you can ring them on the freephone number, and just ask.

Has he ever done a job for you that would require his registration number on a form, like a lgsc or boiler install? You can also search under name.
Failing that, you can ring them on the freephone number, and just ask.

A-ha - found him, and he is registered - was looking in the wrong area :)

Thanks for your advice bengasman!

What you could do without infringing any gas regulations is to lift the floor and follow the pipe back to see where it comes from.

I do expect that its gas though.

Tell the person coming that its a steel pipe and the outside diameter so that he brings a male and female plug/cap with him on his visit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back