Four Circuits Failed on New Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new split load consumer unit fitted a month ago at the same time as having a new kichen ring main installed. Today four of the circuits on the consumer unit appear to have failed though the MCBs have NOT tripped. The only thing seemingly relating the circuits (kitchen ring main, radial circuit with two sockes, the shower circuit and the ring main for the other sockets in the house) are that they are all positioned next to each other on the consumer unit.

Have already left a message for the sparky who did the work but if it's anything I may be able to take a look at myself i'd welcome suggestions (he can take a while to reply..... ).

Have some experience of installing circuits but get guys in to do the heavy stuff and work covered by Part P.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the 4 failed circuits are alll AFTER the RCD then possible the bus bar terminal in the RCD is not tightened.

Turn OFF the main switch and check all the screw terminals are tight

EXCEPT FOR the terminals where the tails from the meter enter the main switch as thes will STILL BE LIVE

Have you reset the RCD?

You say you have a split-load and the circuits you menyion (kitchen ring main, radial circuit with two sockes, the shower circuit and the ring main for the other sockets in the house) are the ones that I would expect to be RCD protected. Switch off and unplug all appliances on these circuits, then switch the RCD on (you may need to switch it off first if it has tripped half-way).

If the circuits then vome back on, plug in and switch on your appliances one at a time and you may find that one of them trips it again. It is most likely to be a "watery" electrical appliance like a washing machine or kettle. It might be the CH boiler.

Thanks for the quick reply. They are indeed grouped after the RCD, will take a look at what you suggest this eve, may just save me forking out for a take-away. And I will of course stay away from the tails terminals :) .

Edit: JohnD - yes I reset the RCD this morning.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
edited:

OK.

If you say you reset it, and that means it had tripped, it is possible that it is faulty and has not reset properly. If it not faulty, then Bernard's suggestion is good. However if one of the screws was loose then the busbar may have been heat-damaged by a poor connection, and will need to be replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back