new consumer unit

Sponsored Links
No.

But I share plug's dilemma.

Does "just say no" work?

There will always be some who, despite being told "not a good idea", go and do it anyway.

It's like sex advice and contraceptives for under-16s - you know they shouldn't have sex, and you know they should be told that, but they should also be given access to advice and contraception so that it they do do it they can do it safely.

I think you've hit on the answer, Ban!

If you are going to pull the fuse, wear condoms on your hands......

JOKE!!!!

SN_E114RB.jpg

Sponsored Links
Surely pulling the service fuse can't be that risky?

Assuming you have switched your Fuse box/CU off then there won't be any current being drawn from that side of the feed and therefore you shouldn't get any arc'ing when removing or replacing the service fuse?

Also assuming of course that you cover anything exposed by removing the service fuse.

beanhead said:

Assuming you have switched your Fuse box/CU off then there won't be any current being drawn from that side of the feed and therefore you shouldn't get any arc'ing when removing or replacing the service fuse?

Also assuming of course that you cover anything exposed by removing the service fuse.

Also assuming that you have correctly identified and turned off any other consumer units connected via any henley blocks or (heven forbid) wired in parallel to the supply side of the main switch.

Also assuming that the REC doesn't find out and sue you for breaking the seals/stealing their electricity.

Also assuming that you check all the above again immediately before you put the service fuse back in.

And assuming that you are actually competent to do whatever it was that you did while the service fuse was removed.

That's six assumptions. I'll let you decide on the combined risk for the average DIYer.

fubar said:
beanhead said:

Also assuming that you have correctly identified and turned off any other consumer units connected via any henley blocks or (heven forbid) wired in parallel to the supply side of the main switch.
true familarity with the existing wiring is a good idea
fubar said:
Also assuming that the REC doesn't find out and sue you for breaking the seals/stealing their electricity.
they would have great trouble proving that you were the one who pulled it
fubar said:
Also assuming that you check all the above again immediately before you put the service fuse back in.

And assuming that you are actually competent to do whatever it was that you did while the service fuse was removed.
mmm reinserting a service fuse against a dead short from a miswired henly block sounds like fun ;)
fubar said:
That's six assumptions. I'll let you decide on the combined risk for the average DIYer.

plugwash said:
fubar said:
they would have great trouble proving that you were the one who pulled it

Assuming that none of the other assumptions is true. "Didn't touch it" probably won't carry much weight if you have HBC shrapnel embedded in you skin or have been partially blinded by arc light. ;)

I'll make sure and wear my sunglasses when plugging it back in then :cool:

pity i never thought to take a picture today.

rec meter board (that is timber it was fixed to) clearly said

"it is an offence to tamper with the fuse"

the fuse itself had a similar label

Rminds me of those signs you see "trespassers will be prosecuted"

breezer said:
"it is an offence to tamper with the fuse"

One of my neighbours has a little brass plaque that says something like:

There is a£2 fine for any person
who breaks the seals without authority

I'll have to take a photo. The sign is quite corroded, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back