new consumer unit

beanhead said:
Surely pulling the service fuse can't be that risky?

I was due to change a CU today. The cutout is an old cast iron box with a neutral link and porcelain fuse in. The fuse was busted - in two pieces.

I couldn't get it out a) in one piece or b) without electrocution risk. And getting it back (assuming I was able to remove it in the first place) would have been impossible.

The REC will call to replace it.

Sponsored Links
staffy said:
Sorry for taking so long to reply WORK WORK WORK

I was quoted in the region of £600-£750 and when i asked how much to rewire the whole house, the quote was £2000-£3500.
Excuse me for being stupid but it is only a 3 bed-semi.
Do you recommend pulling the service fuse and if so what precautions can i take,and what safety precautions or checks to make sure that everything is in order before doing so. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

sparky24seven welcome to the forums, but what is the point of your post?

since it appears all you have done is to quote (badly as well) staffy

Don't worry - Staffy is one of those idiots who admits he has no idea about electrics, but thinks there's nothing to it, and refuses to recognise that his ignorance might just mean that there is more to it than he thinks.

He refuses to accept that rewiring a house is a big job, and is going to cost a reasonable sum.

He won't be back.

Sponsored Links
the fact is the rates that tradesmen charge seem high
the main reason for this is all the overheads but the customer doesn't see this

i can see why people especially those on a tight budget are so tempted to diy

and personnly i think a mostly ok (with possibly some minor noncompliances) rewire protected by a RCD and mcbs and wired in modern pvc cable is far safer than crumbling vir with no earth and protected only by rewirable fuses

plugwash said:
the fact is the rates that tradesmen charge seem high
the main reason for this is all the overheads but the customer doesn't see this

i can see why people especially those on a tight budget are so tempted to diy

and personnly i think a mostly ok (with possibly some minor noncompliances) rewire protected by a RCD and mcbs and wired in modern pvc cable is far safer than crumbling vir with no earth and protected only by rewirable fuses

why?

whats wrong with VIR??
GREAT STUFF!

there is nothing wrong with it as long as people have thick carpets, dont smash their plugs about, dont have their music loud, dont run up the stairs, and mainly
DONT TRY AND ADD ON TO IT :rolleyes:

I got round the problem, sort of unintentionally.

I needed the meter to be moved so I got the Board's blokes in to do it. Instead of just moving the meter, they changed it for a new one (I'd just bought the house so it was under a brand new supply agreement).

The new meter is a dinky little digital type and has an integral isolator. The bill was about £30 (in 1997), possibly the best £30 I've ever spent!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back