Free online electrical courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

Does anybody know where you can get some free online electrical courses from or as anybody got any informative cd's on electrics that they think i would find useful. You can learn so much by the wording and phrases within the postings on this forum, but sometimes i need the diagrams to digest.

As i am a new comer and learning about electrics, i welcome any suggestions if people are aware of online courses that either i can download or participate in, in addition to reading my books and visiting forums etc.

even websites that give good detail etc anything will do.

Sponsored Links
Adam, the only ones you will find on the web, that satisfy the description of COURSE are for the US system, which is fundermentally different from ours.

If all you wish to do is learn about domestic installations for your own purposes it may be a good idea to look to your local college, they will likely not be free, but nor expensive either. The instruction you get will be from a proper Electrical Engineering Lecturer. There are a n umber of courses I have heard of being operated and they cover the basic of circuits, fault finding, installation techniques, the law etc.

It might also be a good idea to have a chat with Learn Direct, they must run a course.

Cheers for that, I guess you guys in the trade are really hammered by the courses that the IEE put on. I looked on thier website and for a 2 day beginners course.. Obviously because i am a non memebr £460 inclusive of VAT. That was one of the basic short courses. Even being a member doesn't give you that much difference. How do the sparky's cope with such costs as i imagine they have to attend updates etc as i do in my job.

Sponsored Links
andemz said:
Cheers for that, I guess you guys in the trade are really hammered by the courses that the IEE put on. I looked on thier website and for a 2 day beginners course.. Obviously because i am a non memebr £460 inclusive of VAT. That was one of the basic short courses. Even being a member doesn't give you that much difference. How do the sparky's cope with such costs as i imagine they have to attend updates etc as i do in my job.
If you did not finish your course yet, my reply is not too late...:cool:

As mentioned a college course might be probably the most reasonable.
One year course (this year ending June 2004), costs about £550, one day a week or two evenings. I do not believe in this concentrated courses they cost a fortune and very rarely you will get what you need, I know from experience following the Microsoft MCSE training in 5 subjects I came out more confused and much lighter wallet... :(

Albert, that's not because of the way the course was arranged mate, it's because it was a Microshaft product! :D

FWL_Engineer said:
Albert, that's not because of the way the course was arranged mate, it's because it was a Microshaft product! :D

Yes, the price was probably because it was microsoft, but the way the information was passed to the students was impossible, I participated, (during my professional life, after university), in at least 50 different courses, and this was the worst. the problem with these (privet) courses is that they are trying to cramp a 14 week college course in three days etc. time is money, if you are not very academic, not used to studying or new to the subject you will be in real trouble.
Therefore, personally (everyone does what suits him/her), I will always, where I can, choose a college, council or any type of course that run by a kind of 'public body'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back