Freezer issue - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Older Beko TZS 490 upright freezer. Compressor is failing to start. From switch on, it give a very quiet buzz for 5 seconds, then goes silent, but compressor case gets quite hot. I've checked the start capacitor marked 5uF, measures 3.3uF and assumed OK. There is a flat white plastic cased item, 5 terminals, including 2 of which plug directly into compressor. There is also a separate circular black, object, which might be a coil.

Most start relays appear to include the 'coil', my start relay is quite flat. I have not been able to find a match to the start relay online, despite finding

Anyone have any information about such things?

More here - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/what-have-you-been-doing-today.539356/page-499#post-5504147

Sponsored Links
Replace it. The energy savings alone will pay for it in 4 years.

[UPDATE] I think I have found out (not certain yet) - that if the fridge is powered off, so the compressor is allowed to go cold, it will then restart when powered back up. We have lodged most of the expensive freezer contents, in neighbour's freezers for now, but they had limited space.

We spent a few hours today, prowling the white goods shops, weighing up options and a new freezer is due to be delivered on Monday morning sometime. As a botch, to keep the present one limping - I have the freezer switched on to 'fast freeze', which means the stat is bypassed, so it runs continuously, then powered the freezer via a time-clock, set for on for 1 hour, off for three hours, throughout the 24 hours. Idea is -the three hours off, should allow the compressor to cool enough to be able to restart - hopefully.

Sponsored Links
Well, that was an overnight success, almost. It has seemed to be able to restart every time, held the temperature down, though not quite low enough - so it needs 'more on time'. Set for 'fast freeze' and running continuously, it got itself down to minus 25C, so nowt much wrong with the cooling circuit. It's just an problem of - it cannot restart, when the motor/compressor is hot.

Last edited:
The white flat object is the start device but on my trade accounts seems obsolete, the black circular device is an overload that pops with an audible click.

On the old freezer, putting it on fast freeze it would run the compressor continuously, until the button (latching) was pressed again. The new one, has a time limit and will reset itself to normal once it times out ,

Quite pleased with it so far, it has solid drawer bottoms, versus the old one's open mesh, with a fan to circulate the cold. It's auto-defrost, but with a manual defrost mode - which caused complete confusion. It uses just one button to adjust the temperature, set fast freeze and select manual defrost - very confusing, or maybe I confused it's processor, because I got it to manually start defrosting and couldn't stop it, despite their having no ice.

It took me a while to sort it out, but it's down to minus 23C, and no food was lost due to the old one failing, thanks to a neighbour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back