What have you been doing today?

That's the good 'ole 6082 Harry - very common.
I use simplybearings, order now, on the doormat Tuesday first thing.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Joan of Arc day today. Almost! Visited the Joan of Arc church and went to the Joan of Arc museum. Was told to come back later as a piece of interactive equipment wasn’t working. I asked what time they closed and was told 7.00. Went back at 5.30 and they said last tickets were sold at 5.15. Dirty f'cking scoundrel bitch! Mrs Mottie pulled me away before I got into an argument with her. Had a decent meal tonight, Mutch better than last night. It was recommended by our hotel and away from the main drag. Going home tomorrow. Stoping at some 'pretty gardens' in Abbeville for lunch and then going to the WW2 V2 rocket launch museum thingy near Calais. https://www.lacoupole-france.co.uk/history-centre.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Drove home from France today. Stopped off at Le Touquet for a walk up the beach and a spot of lunch at a beach café. Lovely clean beach.

IMG_1411.jpeg

Got to the Eurotunnel an hour early and still ended up leaving nearly two hours later than my booked train. Train breakdown allegedly. Flew through customs and passport control then sat in the loading queues for bloody ages.

Hit another mileage milestone on the way home - this time in the Audi. All the fives. :giggle:

IMG_1403.jpeg

Most of the courgettes right now are about 4” long at the moment but they'll be the size of the largest one in the picture when I get back!
They were bigger!

IMG_1420.jpeg

Had a nice little harvest to stock up the fridge. Runner beans, French beans, kale, courgettes, mixed beetroot, new potatoes and cucumbers.

IMG_1422.jpeg

Working over west London this morning. Coming home, I got off at Upminster and as I was walking along, all the hairs on my neck went up. I turned round and saw this:

IMG_1434.jpeg

I think I have a stalker!

Last edited:
I said I'd reply to @cwhaley so here's a bit:
If you pick a London market stock which tiy think will, or has already, done well...
This called an ETF. It's 5x the US Tech sector top 100...
There's no fuss with exchange rates - it's all in the price.
It's not a a share as such, so there's no stamp duty, and there's no CGT.

Pick a cheapo platform and there are no other fees. They shave the bid/offer price but you won't even be aware of it.

This is May to now:
Those candles are 4 hours wide. Ignore the lower trace & boxes, for now...
1689302751780.png

Any stock with an up-trend will do. Of course you can switch around between your favourite runners as much as you like. There no fees, bid/offer would be maybe 0.1% but it's invisible.
What they do is use complex "instruments" to get you this return, but it turns out to be directly what it says.

If you watch it, and, say, buy at the blue candles and sell when two decent sized, or 1 huge, red come along. Then you buy back when there are 2 blue.
That lousy but simple strategy produces a couple of cases near the start that don't do much, but as it goes on you miss out most of the drops. I accumulated the cut out parts, ( which is the lower trace+boxes) which comes to half a chart height, so what's showing here as 220% rise, would give over 300%.
To prevent a disaster you can put a "stop loss sell" a couple of squares below the current level as it goes up. So if the market collapses (that's USA collapsing) you shouldn't lose too much. If you wanted to, you could sell every Friday night and rebuy on the Monday, but you wouldn't gain as much.
You can use a phone app to alert you, but if you only checked once a day there's nothing here that would have cost you too much.

You can buy a load on individual "instruments" for one stock, like Apple, Google etc, as 1X, 2X and 3X, and also -1X. -2X, and -3X so you gain when the stock price drops. You caould al;lternate between + and - ETFs.
There are lots of other ways, but this sort of stock, on a free platform, free of exchange fees, taxes and fluctuations, makes it simple.

You need a long-lasting trend. We may be nearing the end of this one. You can work from weekly, daily or minutely trends, but that's harder work.

I suppose I need to add that stocks don't often have a run like this one for an extended period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit

Mottie should be able to understand. I know JohnD and others wouldn't, but that's a low bar.

The aim is to hold the thing while it's going up, and flog it when you see it turning down.
The "candles" are red when the price goes down in the period denoted by the width of the candle. You can set 1 minute, one hour etc.
Blue when it goes up.
The wicks of the candles show you more but I'm keeping it simple.
If you get two ups in a row, it's likely to continue up, and vice versa. So you can use those to tell you when to buy and sell. I chopped the bits out of the trace above for when you wouldn't own the stock, and put them connected together so you can see the effect of not owning the stock for that time.

Last edited:
Drove home from France today. Stopped off at Le Touquet for a walk up the beach and a spot of lunch at a beach café. Lovely clean beach.

View attachment 307942

Got to the Eurotunnel an hour early and still ended up leaving nearly two hours later than my booked train. Train breakdown allegedly. Flew through customs and passport control then sat in the loading queues for bloody ages.

Hit another mileage milestone on the way home - this time in the Audi. All the fives. :giggle:

View attachment 307941

My first brand new Van (Traffic) was due it's 18000 mile service. With no attempt to do so; as I got to the dealership the clock clicked over to 18000. On the ●

My first brand new Van (Traffic) was due it's 18000 mile service. With no attempt to do so; as I got to the dealership the clock clicked over to 18000. On the ●
Ah well, I did reset my trip meter at 55500.

Was woken up in the night by the sound of running water in the street. A mains water pipe under the pavement in the drive opposite had blown and water was gushing out into the drain in my street. Filled in an online form for Essex and Suffolk water around 6.30 this morning and included a video. They were there at 8.00 digging the pavement up and they are still there now. A much better response that I got from Thames Water when our drains blocked!

Last edited:
Henry vac motor rebuilt, but it was unsuccessful - I thought it was running rough due to bearings, but it was the windings which had failed. Now in the bin..

Starting the job of fixing a box section steel roof covering on the summerhouse, postponed whilst we wait for some more suitable weather than we have at the moment.

Today's problem was the freezer bleeping due to the temperature being too high. I got around to investigating, after dinner and panicked - it was up to minus10. Checked the power to it, then found compressor hot, cooling fins at the back at room temperature. Diagnosis - motor not running. Power it down, and back up, motor buzzed for 5 seconds then stopped - each time it was powered up.

Quickly thought perhaps start capacitor, or start relay, perhaps the motor itself. Had asked swmbo to quickly empty freezer, into fridge freezer, pick out cheaper items to bin, and go over to neighbours, to see if they had space in their freezer she could make use of, whilst I pulled some tools and test gear together.

In the meantime, I dug into back of the freezer. I applied a soaking wet cloth to cool the compressor/motor down, and then tackled checking the start relay and capacitor out. Capacitor, marked 5uF, tested as a 3.3uF. The relay was some sort of custom part, which plugged via two pins directly onto the compressor, and I wasn't sure how to test that out, so I loosely reassembled and powered it back up, Compressor/motor started and ran as normal, cooling fins at rear got warm, so back to working again. It's cooling down nicely, but I will not know it's fully working for a couple of hours, after it reaches temperature - switches off, then hopefully restarts when it warms up again.

It's just a very basic, upright freezer.

[EDIT] It pulled it down to minus 18.7 no bother at all, but no sign of it stopping, so I tweaked the stat. down, it stopped, tweaked it up it restarted, down -stopped, up started... Based on that I've called it fixed, I just don't like fixes, where no actual fault is found.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back