Do you respect work by other trades?

L

longdogs

I managed to splash some of my tile adhesive up a recently plastered wall today, so I carefully wiped it all off before the plasterer returns in a couple of days but I did wonder if, roles reversed, the plasterer would have wiped the plaster off my newly laid tiles or the new copper pipe run I have just installed.

Do you (as I do) try to make life as easy as posible for the next tradesman coming in , even if you will not actually be present and respect the work that has already been done?

Sponsored Links
As a plumber, when I fit a boiler I follow Manufacturers Instructions (MI's) re. clearences , possible ventilation issues etc.

Then, we have the chippies go in and cant even understand the MI's, build a kitchen around a boiler, get handsomley paid, and leave us with an hour of dismantling because their too thick to read or even care about a boiler.

I'm always glad the plumber maintains the integrity of the joists by using my holes for the C/H polypipes and in the process wedges the cables so tightly in the holes any heat transferred to the cables will not give them the chance to sag.

:p

Seen a labourer once on a job using a jack hammer who didn't have much respect for a spark trying to have his tea break in peace.

Labourer was two floors up and the spark bridged the wires out every time the jack hammer started.
Breaker was on the same floor as the spark. :LOL: :LOL:
He must have had his boots wore out trudging the concrete stairway in the time the spark had his tea. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Oh, and don't get me started about tilers washing tile grout 'down the plughole' leaving it to set solid in the trap, OH, yeah and sparks who when putting them bl****g earth bonding straps on, nearly pierce the pipework when fixing them.

Or, builders who then decide the velux roof light can't go as per the drawing and "the plumber can easily move the (vertical) flue pipe"

And thats just this week......

dreadnought

Then, we have the chippies go in and cant even understand the MI's, build a kitchen around a boiler, get handsomley paid, and leave us with an hour of dismantling because their too thick to read or even care about a boiler.
Kitchen fitters, please! What's sauce for the goose, however.....

I've had plumbers and electricians both drill so many holes through joists that they are dangerously weakened. I've had plumbers lift floorboards and chop out for pipes then run live water supplies down the edge of a board in one corner so when it come to nail it down I hit a live 10 bar water pipe (my own fault for not checking, I suppose :rolleyes:). I constantly get sparkies (and sometimes plumbers) drilling holes into or making cutouts in brand new boxing despite being asked whether or not they're finished in that area (and invariably being told "yes"). Why always so as rough as a bears derriere guys? I'm fed up with the number of times deccos have told me that they "won't make and splashes" only to end up having my tools given that mist-coat magnolia polka-dot effect so beloved of guys with a brush in their hands. I've lost count of the number of times floor screeders have left a hump on the inside of a door opening so that the door, shortened by the required 6mm according to the spec, won't open without grounding. part of the joy of being a chippie :LOL:

Could be worse, though, last year I was on a job where a 16in ventilation duct on the drawing was supposed to go through the middle of a 24in steel in the real world. We had to redesign all the stud walling on the fly on that one to give the ventilation guys a chance. Architects? Love 'em

Co-operation is a wonderful thing - if sometimes theoretical!

NO B.UGGER THAT everyone for himself.
sparks who just drop wires wherever they feel like it,AND HEAVENS ABOVE SWEEPING UP.thats beneath them.
plumbers lifting boards with shovels and club hammers.
us chippys leaving shavings up newly glossed paintwork,dunno why the splashers get upset. :eek:

on a job years back and fitted some skirtings and a tad short 1 end,when and got some painters m8 off of the decs,they then said dont worry chips where sort it.
they didnt do anyone else's cock up.their attitude was if the person asked like i did they would sort it if they didnt it got left. :rolleyes:

moral is respect all and its given back.SIMPLES.

plumbers lifting boards with shovels and club hammers.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I've seen some floorboards that looked like they'd been lifted by a JCB.. Then the plumber/sparky says "Can you just put these back down for me later?" (yeah, on the bonfire) ;) ;) ;)

moral is respect all and its given back.SIMPLES.
I've got to admit that I'm happier if somebody comes and talks to me before they booger up some of my work because I can often open up a boxing, flooring, etc without damaging it (at least not too badly). Similarly I do try to be the same with other trades - but you're right about there being some folk out there who don't give a tuppenny damn

If your on a job and the building contractor doesn't give a damn then its real fun.
Eight floor bank job and finishing trades had to start top floor then down. Finishing dates for each floor and anyone not off has their equipment/materials chucked in the skip. :(
First day on the top floor fight breaks out between the dry liners and pipe fitters.

We rumaged through skips for our stuff on a few occasions.
High pressure nitrogen bottle chucked in on one ocassion.

Could be worse, though, last year I was on a job where a 16in ventilation duct on the drawing was supposed to go through the middle of a 24in steel in the real world. We had to redesign all the stud walling on the fly on that one to give the ventilation guys a chance. Architects? Love 'em!
After putting in our wire loops for the bathroom downlighting, we retired from site for a week to allow plasterers to board up and skim.

Kitchen downlights? No prob. Lounge downlights? No prob. Bedroom downlights? No prob. Bathroom downlights? Can't find em! Double check drawings. No good. Later that day the owner told us the bathroom stud wall had been moved in 350mm to accommodate wood burner flue!! Doh!

when i did house bashing remember having a bit of a talk with an OBNOXIOUS sparky who tried to get into an area i was working in,he threatened to turn electric off etc.all he had to do was ask nicely rather then turn up and tell me to f+++ off. :eek: after that i told him if he continued trying to talk to me like that then i would happily make him a coffin. :LOL:
so i politely told him to as i would get my genny out,AND HE STILL WOULDNT BE WORKING WHERE I WAS. :LOL: silly man :rolleyes:

Therefore the old adage really must be true...

If you want something done properly - Do it yourself!

I jump on the digger and dig the foundations.

I lay all concrete.

I build the shell.

I cut and tile the roof.

I fix casings skirts archies and window boards and hand the doors.

I plaster the walls and ceilings.

I do however admire the way plumbers and electricians leave all their rubbish scattered throughout the site and liberally use our skip when they can be ersed to find it.

Sponsored Links
Back