New found respect for you plasterers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Got to grips with plastering walls and actually really enjoy it. Something good about seeing the results

Found it so easy in fact ive been wondering what all the fuss is about as it seemed to be something that anyone could do.

As i was getting on so well i decided it was time to tackle the kitchen ceiling.

Damn that was hard.
Setting to quick,neck aching, arms aching, scars on the surface.

Why was i having such a hard time on the ceiling compared to the walls.

Do i have to change my approach and do it differently to the walls.

As for the mess on the floor ,wife wernt happy :D

Sponsored Links

Got to grips with plastering walls and actually really enjoy it. Something good about seeing the results

Found it so easy in fact ive been wondering what all the fuss is about as it seemed to be something that anyone could do.

As i was getting on so well i decided it was time to tackle the kitchen ceiling.

Damn that was hard.
Setting to quick,neck aching, arms aching, scars on the surface.

Why was i having such a hard time on the ceiling compared to the walls.

Do i have to change my approach and do it differently to the walls.

As for the mess on the floor ,wife wernt happy :D
think of the ceiling as a wall and plaster it the same way as you would the wall, start at one end with nice long sweeping strokes then once you have gone right across the wall drop back, now at this stage imagine you you are on a wall, dont start plastering right at the edge of your skim drop back a few feet or however long your sweep is, then sweep the second row of skim into your first row to do this you have to face the other way or sideways, so for example lay on your first row of skim then drop back face the other way or sideways and sweep the second row of skim into the first, then for the 3rd row face the otherway again, if there are two of you the second spread starts behind you on the second row while you do the first keep on till the ceiling is done, i beleive this method has a name called the typewriter method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back