Bumps in the plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my kitchen ceiling and the walls, which had previously been artexed, professionally plastered. The ceiling is fine but we noticed a series of bumps, about the size of a 5p, on one of the walls. Our plasterer said it was something to do with 'glue' and re-skimmed it after first unsuccessfully trying sandpaper. This part is now OK but after we have applied emulsion to the main walls (after PVA) we've found many other bumps. Could anyone comment on a possible cause and advise action?

Sponsored Links
The wall should have been really well scraped to get rid of the big bumps and then plastered with bonding followed by a skim coat or two.

The lumps are artex.

Thanks for the info - I'll have and try and get them back to do a decent job now I know what the problem is.

He doesn't sound very competent. You now need to get an angled 6" scraper from B&Q with a razor sharp blade (Hamilton about a fiver), and use it like a plane to flatten the wall. Then PVA and skim.

Sponsored Links
Did the price reflect scraping off the old artex or just skimming over artex.

I've just had an artexed ceiling skimmed flat. One plasterer told me there might be bumps afterwards. Another - the one whose quote I accepted - gave the same advice as joe-90. I duly got one of these scrapers and rubbed off the high points before the plasterer got to work. The finished job looks wonderful. It's all painted now and you'd never know there was Artex underneath. (Incidentally, that long-handled blade is a great tool for removing loose paint flakes, too. A really good investment for anyone into diy.)

They are great for stripping paper too - and loads of other things like runs and lumps on old paint before you sand it.

joe-90 said:
They are great for stripping paper too - and loads of other things like runs and lumps on old paint before you sand it.

We ought to have a thread: tools you can't do without if you're into serious diy. Hey, maybe I'll start one . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back