Noobie Plastering help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to plaster our kitchen where half the previous skim has came off, and there are bumps from tile adhesive etc. There are also channels in the walls for cables I have made which need to be plastered over too.

I have got Thistle bonding plaster and thistle multifinish plaster.
I plan to apply PVA in the cable channels and use bonding plaster to plaster to the existing surface. Then use multifinish to level the lot then multifinish again for final skim.

Do I need to PVA between each plastering? (do I need to PVA on first skim/leveling?) How long do I wait between doing the bonding and then doing the leveling, then how long between the leveling to the final skim?

Any advice atall would be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would always knock off back to masonry, it will give a sure backing for the float.

But do whatever suits you as regards knocking back.

Before plastering, Kitchens are best stripped out of all units and appliances etc. esp. if there's any suspicion of damp behind the base units. Again, it will depend on you.

Apply two coats of PVA to any painted or very dry background, start spreading when it goes tacky.

Using the bonding, you can pull out all patches, holes and channels to some common surface. PVA (as above) that common surface, and skim over.

Typically, between the float and the skim you have to wait until you feel it firming up, it depends on site conditions. Only do one wall at a time.

I say the above because i'm not certain of what you've got?

Its a bit late along the line for knocking back to masonry I think, Should have considered it in the first place (just seemed like more work to a noob).

All units etc are out,

So do I PVA after bonding (before I start using multifinish?)
Do I PVA again after first skim/level?

How long approximately between bonding (in channels etc) and using the multifinish for getting a level surface?
How long approx between leveling and final skim?

The house isn't damp, nor particularly cold, however, it is colder than your average house as it is unoccupied atm.

I would always knock off back to masonry, it will give a sure backing for the float.

But do whatever suits you as regards knocking back.

Before plastering, Kitchens are best stripped out of all units and appliances etc. esp. if there's any suspicion of damp behind the base units. Again, it will depend on you.

Apply two coats of PVA to any painted or very dry background, start spreading when it goes tacky.

Using the bonding, you can pull out all patches, holes and channels to some common surface. PVA (as above) that common surface, and skim over.

Typically, between the float and the skim you have to wait until you feel it firming up, it depends on site conditions. Only do one wall at a time.

I say the above because i'm not certain of what you've got?

Sponsored Links
Disclaimer: I'm just a DIYer that has done some plastering.

I've done similar to what you are doing but with hardwall instead of bonding as it was a high suction background.

Before applying the hardwall I have the area a good clean and wet it first - really you shouldn't have to use pva here but if the suction is high I doubt it would harm.

I found it better to do all of the hardwall plaster a few days before skimming because of shrinkage when drying. The one time I did do both the same day the skim also cracked on top. Then before skimming I have the hardwall a coat of PVA and used skrim tape where it joined the old plaster to stop any cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back