multifinish over easifill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've boarded my ceilings (tapered boards) and done the joints using paper tape and easifill, as I was informed after I had a previous problem with new upstairs ceiling joints cracking (where I'd using fibre mesh scrim) that paper tape was the best way to stop cracking (British Gypsum's technical dept.). Cracks were long (several feet) and didn't appear for several months, they also didn't come back once filled. I had fitted very beefy 3 inch noggins for all board edges so was surprised as there shouldn't have been significant movement. The plasterer I've got coming at the end of the month says Easifill is "not great to skim over" and suggested Thistle bond it for the whole ceiling (very expensive) or if not using that that the Easifill will most definitely need a PVA before skimming. In a later response from the same plasterer he said the moisture softens it and it can become unstable, however after e-mailing BG about using PVA and the fact Easifill didn't mention anywhere it couldn't be skimmed over, they said 'As long as the EasiFill has completely set and is correctly adhered to the surface behind, we are not aware of any moisture or adhesion related issues when skimming over with Thistle MultiFinish. Please note: we do not suggest the use of any PVA products as this is not something we have tested for direct use with any of our Thistle plaster products.' Well as far as PVA goes they would say that wouldn't they? And thousands of plasterers test their products using PVA every day. But I'm not one of them, so has anyone here applied Multifinish over Easifill, and sealed with PVA first? What dilution, how many coats and did it work ok?! Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Bg are right paper tape is stronger I done my own ceiling with it after cracks appeared done this about 8 years ago and and no cracks have reappeard I think there are some pics of it in my albums I ripped the old scrim out, also some contractors ask for paper tape to be used instead of fibre before a skim, just pva it to the pva manufacturer instructions as it will need sealing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back