Allowed Easifill to dry and sanded it down, can I still prepare it for a second coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After removing a stud wall, I was left with a 10cm gap in the plaster on the adjoining external wall. I applied a thistle undercoat and then a layer of easifill on top. I’ve now allowed it to fully dry (over 24h) but I need to add in a second layer of easifill to make it flush and level with the surrounding walls. I sanded it in between as I realised the wall either side had a slight ridge. Where I did a similar thing over a piece of plasterboard I fitted in the ceiling, the second layer of easifill was a bit flakey and doesn’t seem to have adhered properly.

Should I have applied the second layer of easifill sooner and not sanded in between? How can I stop this happening a second time with the wall now that it’s fully dry? Do I spray the wall with water or a water/PVA solution?

Sponsored Links
I am a decorator. Easyfill is extremely soft, so soft the when you sand it, it kinda rips away from the surface,

Please purchase a decent filler such as tx110 by Toupret

Easifil is pants, but often used people that dont care a jot

Last edited:
Yeh I realise now that I should have just used something more suitable than easifill. Would I be able to use tx110 on top of what I’ve done? Or is there anything else suitable to apply on top of the Easifill to finish it properly?

It may have been dust from the sanding that resulted in it being flaky.

Now that you have used it, stick with it. A dusting brush should be sufficient. You could mist it with water but when damp, it becomes even softer so you need to be gentle with the second coat of filler.

Using TX110 could be problematic. As you sand it, the sandpaper may gouge in to the easifill.

When feathering out the easifill drop down to about 180g sandpaper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the help, I did as you said. I brushed it clean and then applied a very light amount of water with a paintbrush. I then applied another coat of easifill and went for an ever so slightly more watery mix. Felt like it went on reasonably well and happier with the result. I’ll hand sand it in a couple of days once it’s fully dry. Certainly not going to go overboard with the sanding though!

IMG_4764.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back