Soft crumbly finish to multi finish..any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We decided to remove the decorative coving in our living room and go with no coving for a modern look. I’m your average DIYer and have plastered small areas before using multi-finish. Coving and adhesive was stripped off. Internal corners were taped and filled with easifill. PVA mix over the area and then 2 coats of multi-finish feathering edges out. One wall/ceiling has dried fine but on one stretch of ceiling the plaster has dried soft and crumbly. When I’ve gone to use a fine sandpaper it’s just come off way too easy. I think I used the same technique of applying the second coat before the first coat dried. Could this be inadequate mix of PVA? Dried too quickly? Contaminated water? I did trowel it quite a bit and my wife kept saying “leave it alone”. I would hate her to be right but maybe she is??
I’ve sanded it back and may have got away with it but I’ve got 2 more wall/ceiling corners to do so wondered if anyone could suggest what might have gone wrong please?
The photo is the wall that has dried OK. It does need a sand into the corners as it’s my first time so be gentle please!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back