Second coats of mult finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just a quick question.

Done a bit of plastering for a while now here and there (self taught) but come across something that I cant work out what's best to do.

Plastering a large ceiling, got the first coat of multi finish on and flattened then come to the garage and miscalculated how many bags of plaster I had!! Not enough to do a second coat... the shops are now shut so can't nip out to get some more!

Would appreciate a bit of advice please :)

Do I...

A) get some more bags in the morning and mix up asap and get the second coat on and done

Or

B) wait 'till its dry, pva, then do 2 propper coats

Or is there anything else to suggest?

Many thanks
Charlie

Sponsored Links
So you flattened first coat in went to the garage and discovered you haven't got enough for the second coat? You should have tried to get a finish on the first coat if thats the case, if I were you now I would wait till morning pva it and start again here's a tip for you always get to much rather than not enough

Yeah pretty much.

Why do you mention finishing up the first coat? Because the first coat is a fairly good finish as I always like to get my first coat to a great standard as I find the second goes on much better...but I always thought you had to do 2 coats... would just the one be ok if I can live with the finish? Or shall I still pva in the morning and do 2 coats

Thanks for the tip, I usually do follow that way of thinking - but sometimes errors happen

Cheers
Charlie

If you got a good finish leave it another thing you could have done was mixed what ever you had left and use it to flatten your first coat in , you get a better finish with 2 coats but now days with the plastic trowels and all you see a lot of one coating especially on price work ,and I mentioned troweling up the first coat because that was your best option so if it's good leave it

Sponsored Links
Thanks steve...That's interesting to hear! What exactly is the point of two coats then if you can get a good finish in the first? I use sponge and refina superflex so the finish is acceptable - I suppose I could easifill any imperfections that I cant live with at the time of decorating.

Cheers
Charlie

Thanks steve...That's interesting to hear! What exactly is the point of two coats then if you can get a good finish in the first? I use sponge and refina superflex so the finish is acceptable - I suppose I could easifill any imperfections that I cant live with at the time of decorating.

Cheers
Charlie
2 coats = quality and thickness, if you used a sponge float and plazi your job should be spot on its a good combination ,we had a young boy on site s few years back who couldn't plaster for toffee he burst into tears when he got a bit of ribbing by the chippies he even stormed off site but had the guts to come back on site the next day so I took him under my wing for half a day with the refina plazi he then orders the Refina plazi and then started producing some good work good trowels they are you can't go far wrong

I suppose I could easifill any imperfections that I cant live with at the time of decorating.

This pretty much tells you why you need to do two coats, basically so that the jobs good enough not to require any further work. The first coat goes on, and will give you a basic level, then as it start to firm up, the second coat goes on, but stays pliable enough to then level out properly. If you're happy with the quailty of the first coat, then go with it.

Thanks steve, I'm going to get a plazi to compliment the superflex and sponge technique then.

Doggit, So the second coat is just for ease of getting the finish good enough? I thought it was for added strength and resistance to cracks so have always done two. I can get the first coat spot on without the need for easifill so it may save some time for the rest of the house if one coat is good enough? (Just in this case of the aforementioned cieling - may need filler because I did 'plan' on doing two coats if I had enough gear lol)

Appreciate the responses guys, many thanks!

Charlie

he then orders the Refina plazi and then started producing some good work good trowels they are you can't go far wrong

Hi Steve - can you post a link to one?

OP - I've always done 2 coats, only other point not mentioned is whether scrim tape would be more likely to show in some areas when using only 1 coat

Hi Steve - can you post a link to one?

OP - I've always done 2 coats, only other point not mentioned is whether scrim tape would be more likely to show in some areas when using only 1 coat
When one coating always best to go over scrims first just for the record when plaster is applied with machine it's one coat just thought I would mention that lol for comparison

No the superflex - but I am going to order the plazi now.

What do you reckon to the large finishing spatulas from refina? Worth getting one for finishing large ceilings easier?

Cheers
Charlie

I could never get on with my spatula it wasn't a refina but simular I swapped it with another spread for another plazi I've heard the speed skims are are good for that I know some spreads that swear by them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back