Multi Finish Plaster Skim Coated over Rough finish Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will there be any issue with the multi finish plaster bonding to the existing finished plaster? I would rather not use the thistle bond-it product.

I have a plasterboard ceiling that was originally rough finished with plaster approximately 30 years ago. The finish is a bit courser than a sand finish. I would like to think coat it smooth using plaster. I do not think the plaster had ever been painted.

Sponsored Links
Give your ceiling a coat of PVA Jimmy, and let it dry overnight. Then the following day,,,, or whenever you're ready,,, give it another coat of PVA, then skim straight onto it while it's still wet or tacky. NEVER skim onto dry PVA.

Roughcaster.

I am in the middle of the US.

Where can I purchase this product? The "big box" stores do not carry a finish plaster.

Or, what is the name of the specific product that USG sells that is considered a finish plaster.

I can't help you with where to purchase plaster products in the US Jimmy, but the here in the UK, we would use a fine, powdered, finishing plaster called Multi Finish,, made by British Gypsum. I think you would need to maybe go online and look for a similar product in the US.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Does that product finish rock hard, or does it finish similar to drywall mud?

Does that product finish rock hard

In a domestic situation, Multi Finish is a harder, tougher plaster than a drywall mud finish,, which is soft by comparison. It is also finished with a trowel and water,,, unlike drywall/taping readymix, which is sanded down,, so much softer/weaker.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back