2nd coat of multi finish plastter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i recenly blocked up and plaster boarded a small window.
Then i have made a prety good smooth job of plastering it using multi finish plaster.

Unfortunately, the finished level at the edges is not quite flush with the existing walls. I therefore intend to apply a 2nd coat of multi finish to bring it all up flush.

My question is will this work and is i possible? should i apply some PVA to the 1s dried coa of plaster i applied? Should i wai for he PVA to dry or paint it on and plaster again whilst the PVA is sticky?

Many Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
hi,
Then i have made a prety good smooth job of plastering it using multi finish plaster.

Unfortunately, the finished level at the edges is not quite flush with the existing walls. I therefore intend to apply a 2nd coat of multi finish to bring it all up flush.

My question is will this work and is i possible? should i apply some PVA to the 1s dried coa of plaster i applied? Should i wai for he PVA to dry or paint it on and plaster again whilst the PVA is sticky?

Many Thanks

Nick

A tip, when you fill the area use a stright edge to rule off the finish to level it off.

hi,

Many Thanks

Nick

A tip, when you fill the area use a stright edge to rule off the finish to level it off.

How deep is your plaster board from the existing wall? Put a straight edge across from side to side to see what gap you have, and also put the s/edge across from bottom to top and see. If you fill it out and skim it level then when it dries out it will crack around the edges. The proper way to have done it would of been to hack a strip off (about 2") all around the window so before you skimmed your board you could of put some scrim tape all around so it wouldn't crack. But if there are beads on around the windows then now the only option if you are not wall papering over would be to take off your p/board and hack the beads off and scrim around the edges. But the answer to your original question is yes you can unibond over the area that you have done. I would mix the unibond about 2-1 and skim when tacky. Like peaps said check your levels with a straight edge...

Thanks to you both for your advice.

I will PVA the area and then apply a second final coat of multi coat to bring it up flush with the existing wall, using a level!
I guess i will just have to hope it doesnt crack.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I guess i will just have to hope it doesnt crack.
Got to agree with Roy I’m afraid, it’ll crack. The best way to avoid cracks when using plasterboard infill is to hack off the plaster from the wall surrounding the window around 150mm & fit an oversize infill of PB, remove about 50mm of the original finish plaster, tape over the joins, skim & blend in. Sometimes it’s easier & just as quick (for me) to re-skim the entire wall & it’s the only real way of ensuring you wont see the join but I appreciate this may not be an option for DIY.

hello again,
couple more questions

1) with the pva, should i put the first coat on first and allow to dry over night/couple of hours before applying the 2nd coat from which i will plaster whilst sticky?

2) should i try and scratch up the original coat of multi finish which i originally applied to a nice smooth finish?

Thanks again

hello again,
couple more questions

1) with the pva, should i put the first coat on first and allow to dry over night/couple of hours before applying the 2nd coat from which i will plaster whilst sticky?

2) should i try and scratch up the original coat of multi finish which i originally applied to a nice smooth finish?

Thanks again

just coat it with the unibond wait till tacky and skim.. ;)

Hi..again!

The bag of multi finish i used for the initial skim on Saturday (7 Jan) is still open with the top folded over on a pice of window board in my garage.

Will this same bag still be OK to use on Saturday when I do this final coat or should i buy another

Thanks

hello again,
couple more questions

Thanks again

Yes you should apply one coat of PVA and let it dry, overnight is good, then apply second coat, wait until tacky, then skim.

If the open bag of skim has been kept dry and free from contamination it should be ok, I would use it, but you might be better getting another bad just incase moisture has got in.

I've found with plasterboard joint filler it will keep a lot better if you transfer it from the paper sack into an old plastic emulsion tub. When it goes stale it sets too quickly but I find it useful to keep some of the stale stuff for quick filling of any big gaps or holes.

Without knowing exactly what your problem is.
It would be hard to say just apply another coat of multi finish plaster, it the levels are really lower you may not be able to blend the application in.
So a couple options I think Roy has covered one, by racking/hacking out around bead.
Or you could avoid hacking out and apply easifill or joint cement compound, this is a smooth paste when mixed that can be applied filled ion and feathered out then left to dry and sanded to smooth. again depending of the depths required it mat take 1, 2 or 3 applications until you have a nice smooth even finish.
The one thing is easifill is not as durable as plaster, if applied in areas vulnerable to hard knocks or moisture.
But is a good alternative to small repairs and slight blemish in plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back