Removing coving has pulled off the top coat of plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been pulling down some coving off the wall/ceiling in our hall, 90% of it came off no problem. However a 3 foot section of the coving was stuck too the wall a bit to well and in removing it some of top coat plaster came away with it. Here is a picture.

As you can see, only the top layer of plaster has been taken off, the backing plaster is still intact.

I want to repair this by mixing up a bit of thistle multi-finish plaster. Do I need to PVA the backing plaster first or should I just slap on the multi-finish?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Brush it off to remove dust and also check around the edges of the patch to make sure there are no loose bits. If there are, just "gently" trim them out with a stanley knife. Give the area a damp down with water brush, and then pva. You can, if you're competent put on the multi finish right away while the pva is tacky, but if you're worried about suction, pva it, let it dry, pva it again and then plaster while wet/tacky.

Roughcaster.

Thanks roughcaster.

I am not that competent unfortunately.

So I will be breaking down the job like this:

1. Trimming up any loose bits with a Stanley knife.
2. Dusting off the area with a dry brush.
3. Damping down the area with a water brush.
4. PVAing (then leaving it to dry overnight)
5. PVAing again the next day (then leaving it until it tacky)
6. Spreading on the multi-finish.

For stages 4 and 5 ie the PVAing stages, what strength of PVA to water should I be using?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Your order of work's fine, then 3 or 4 to 1 pva/water..... If it was me though,, on a small patch like that, i'd clean/damp down the area, dip a small brush into some clean water,, then dip that into neat pva,,and then brush/spread the lot well in, over the area to be patched. Next day,,, do the same again, but plaster straight onto it while it's still tacky. Keep the edges of the patch clean as you go, wipe around it with a sponge or a damp cloth,, looks a lot neater... ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back