blown plaster - brick wall

29 Mar 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a patch in my wall (half a meter square) where plaster has blown as its sounds hollow.

Is it possible to fix that section only as remaining part of the wall sounds solid?

If possible then how should I fix it as this is old property and wall is a brick structure:

Not sure which option is best one:
  • Remove old plaster, PVA it (what ratio?) and use plaster board and skim it over
  • Remove old plaster, PVA it (what ratio?) and use easifil
Sponsored Links
Try getting the old plaster off and see how much comes off. You might find it might be "Boxy"in other places...
I checked out that's the only section impacted. Remaining wall is solid.

Should I just use easifill ?
It really depends on your plastering skills. I suspect the easifil will be easier to level off than trying to get a piece of plasterboard in the hole at the right level. You use 3 parts water to 1 part pva on the wall and the edges of the hole, and let it dry. This stops the edges of the job drying quicker that the middle section. Mix the easifil, and set it in the hole, and hope that you can level it up with the old plaster
Sponsored Links
Skill is the issue and I need perfect finish..... :)

Half a meter square hole will be okay with easifil? Will it not crack?

Should I use more expensive filler such as Toupret as final skim on top of easifil and may help to level?

What is the best tool to level the surface?
Try and cut a piece of plasterboard to roughly fill the hole and glue it in place with tile adhesive so that you are left with no more than 5mm to put a coat of one coat plaster on top.
Either use a ready mixed one coat plaster or mix up some dry powder yourself and with a wide palette knife and a plastering trowel , put a coat on the area and level off with a straight edge in a see saw motion and allow to dry overnight.
Run the straight edge across the area and with a pencil , mark high and low spots, keep checking until you only have low spots. Apply more plaster and repeat the above until you are satisfied that it is flat enough for painting or papering.

You will probably find that 9mm plasterboard is about the right thickness but it depends on the surrounding plaster level.

These are the sort of tools you will need ;

Good luck
I can guarantee that as a novice, you'll end up screaming trying get the plasterboard set in and level. I've never used the easifil, but as a one coat solution, all you've got to do is concentrate on, is getting it as level as the surrounding areas.

Get the 13x5 stainless steel one instead; the longer the edge, the flatter you'll get you're wall. Alternatively, if the hole is about half a metre across, fill the hole, then run a metal straight edge across the hole to basically level it, then use the the steel float to get a good finish.
personally I would fill the hole with bonding coat to just below the surface and then use easi-fill over the top, the great thing with easifil is you can sand it easily and always refill and sand again if it's not perfect.
There are many types of GYPSUM THISTLE bonding plaster. Which one should I buy?

Walls are solid brick... Property is old built in 1940's.

Should I need to Pva before bonding? and then after bonding and then easifill?

Thanks for all help?
Dark blue bag. Pva the wall first, and then before doing the plaster. The dry wall, and then the bonding, will just suck all the water out of your top coat, and it'll be difficult to work, and then crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links